Letting off fireworks
If you are planning to let off fireworks or Chinese firecrackers you need to notify WorkSafe and apply for a Council permit.
These measures help protect our residents and their animals from the effects of fireworks.
Notifying WorkSafe of Intent to Let Off Fireworks
An application to let off fireworks must come from a licensed pyrotechnician. The Dangerous Goods Act also prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, storage, transport, use and possession of fireworks.
To apply, a Notification of Intention to Discharge Fireworks Form must be filled out and submitted to WorkSafe at least 7 days before discharging fireworks or Chinese firecrackers. For more information go to WorkSafe: Notification of intent to discharge fireworks.
Applying for a Council Permit
To apply for a permit to let off fireworks you need:
- provide a copy of the completed WorkSafe Notification of Intention to Discharge Fireworks form
- provide a site plan of the location where the fireworks will be lit
- provide a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance for $10,000,000 if the event will impact on Council land
- completed fireworks permit application form below
- submit your application in person at any of our Customer Service Centres and pay the relevant fee; or
- return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will contact you to take payment over the phone
When considering any application or developing an internal plan the responsible officer will take into account the possible safety implications and any mitigating arrangements balanced against the importance of the event and engaging the community.