Skip to main content

Home-based businesses

Many people enjoy the flexibility and efficiency of running a business from their own home. Before you start a home-based business it's important to consider whether you require a planning permit.

Do you need a planning permit for your home-based business?

Clause 52.11-1 of the Mitchell Planning Scheme outlines the requirements that need to be met to operate a home-based business in a residential zone.

Home-based businesses that require a planning permit

If your home-based business does not meet all of the listed requirements in Clause 52.11, a planning permit is generally required.

Home-based businesses that do not require a planning permit

If your home-based business meets all of the listed requirements in Clause 52.11-1, you will likely not require a planning permit. Please note that permits may still be required if you are proposing building or other works on the property.

Still unsure?

To find out information in relation to the planning controls or whether you require a planning permit for a home-based business, you can contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department on the details listed at the bottom of this page. Council Officers can also provide advice on the planning permit process and required information you must provide in the event that a planning permit is required.

Exceptions to Clause 52.11

Despite the requirements listed in Clause 52.11-1, Council may still grant a planning permit for home-based business that:

  • Allows no more than three people who do not live in the dwelling to work there at any one time.
  • Has a floor area less than 200 square metres or one-third of the net floor area of the dwelling, whichever is the lesser.
  • Has no more than one commercial vehicle (a commercial goods vehicle, commercial passenger vehicle or tow truck within the meaning of the Transport Act 1983), not exceeding two tonnes capacity and wit.

Food, health, well-being and accommodation businesses

Home-based businesses are still obligated to obtain licences if they are working in food, health, wellbeing or accommodation.

For a full list of licences your business may require, visit the Australian Business Licensing and Information Service website or use our Small Business Self-Assessment Tool.

More Information

Contact Us

This page was last updated on 24 February 2021.