Skip to main content
Food businesses

Starting a new food business or buying an existing food premises

New food premises

If you are proposing to establish new food premises, the following must be done before you start trading.

Planning and building permits

Contact our Planning and Building departments to find out if you need permits for the proposed works. Visit planning and building for more information.

Understanding the food standards code

Our Environmental Health Officers can help you to understand what your business will need to do to meet the requirements of the code and be registered. They will classify your food business, explain if you need a food safety program and supervisor, and anything else you need to do to comply.

Pass an inspection

A final inspection of the premises must be completed by an Environmental Health Officer to confirm compliance with the Food Standards Code before approval is given. At the final inspection, it is expected that any refrigeration equipment, hot and cold holding units, exhaust systems are operational, and that there is a supply of hot and cold water to all plumbing fixtures.

See request an inspection.

Register your business

All businesses that sell or handle food must be registered with the appropriate authority. Your business registration needs to be renewed each year.

See application to register a food premises.

Buying an existing food premises

When purchasing an existing food premises you should:

  • organise an inspection to ensure it complies with the requirements of the Food Act 1984
  • register the business (even if an existing food registration already exists)

Requesting an inspection

To request an inspection:

  • contact Council's Environmental Health Department on 03 5734 6200
  • download and complete the premises inspection request form below
  • get a signed consent disclosure form from the current business owner prior to the inspection
  • return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the relevant fees in person; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

Once an Environmental Health Officer has inspected the site, we will send you a report listing any works required to ensure that the business complies with the current food standards code and any other applicable regulations.

The current proprietor and purchaser can negotiate who will take responsibility for undertaking any necessary works.

Application to register a food premises

Whether you're starting a new business or buying an existing food business, all businesses that sell or handle food must be registered with the appropriate authority. Your business registration needs to be renewed each year.

Food businesses registered with Council

Most food businesses are registered with the council from where their business is located or where their food vehicle is garaged.

All new businesses that have passed a final inspection must apply for registration.

To register your business:

Registering a Meat or Seafood Business

Businesses that predominantly process meat or seafood must be registered with PrimeSafe. Contact on phone 03 9685 7333.

Dairy Businesses

Businesses that are predominantly involved in dairy processing are registered with Dairy Food Safety Victoria. Contact on phone 03 9810 5900.

Undertaking alterations to an existing food premises

Before you begin renovating an existing food premises, you should:

  • contact Environmental Health Services to discuss your proposal
  • consult with Council’s Building Department and discuss the proposal to determine whether a new building permit is required
  • obtain approval from Environmental Health Services prior to works beginning
  • request a final inspection from Environmental Health Services once works are completed.

This page was last updated on 20 July 2022.