Skip to main content

Buying an existing food premises

Before you purchase a food premises you should:

  • find out if the business has a current Food Act Registration
  • organise an inspection to ensure it complies with the requirements of the Food Act 1984.

Registration Check

To find out if a food business has a current Food Act Registration, contact our Environmental Health Department on 03 5734 6200.

If you go ahead and buy that business, the current Food Act Registration must be transferred from the name of the current proprietor into your name, as the purchaser.

If the business has no current registration under the Food Act 1984, you will be required to register as a new business; a simple transfer of ownership cannot take place.

Pre-transfer Inspection

It is a good idea to organise an inspection of an existing food premises to ensure that the premises complies with the requirements of the Food Act 1984.

Organise an Inspection

To request an inspection:

  • contact Council's Environmental Health Department on 03 5734 6200
  • complete an online premises inspection form below
  • get a signed consent disclosure form from the current business owner prior to the inspection
  • return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the relevant fees in person; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

Once an Environmental Health Officer has inspected the site, we will send you a report listing any works required to ensure that the business complies with the current food standards code and any other applicable regulations.

The current proprietor and purchaser can negotiate who will take responsibility for undertaking any necessary works.

Transfer of Registration

Once the business has been purchased you need to transfer registration to you as the new owner.

To transfer registration:

If the food activities of the business have been classified by Council as class 1 or class 2 the new proprietor must ensure that an appropriate Food Safety Program is used for the business and a Food Safety Supervisor with the appropriate accredited training is employed to oversee safe food handling practices.

A Transfer Certificate of Registration will be issued in the name of the purchaser once all requirements have been met to the satisfaction of Council’s EHO.

Undertaking Alterations to an Existing Food Premises

Before you begin renovating an existing food premises, you should:

  • contact Environmental Health Services to discuss your proposal
  • consult with Council’s Building Department and discuss the proposal to determine whether a new building permit is required
  • obtain approval from Environmental Health Services prior to works beginning
  • request a final inspection from Environmental Health Services once works are completed.

This page was last updated on 28 October 2020.