Domestic animal businesses
A domestic animal business trains, breeds, rears, or boards pets. Pet Shops and Shelters are also Domestic Animal Businesses.
If you want to establish a new business you will need to register that business with Council, meet the code of practice and renew your registration each year.
Apply to register a domestic animal business
- complete the Application for Registration of Domestic Animal Business (download below)
- pay the application fee
- send the application to Local Laws, Mitchell Shire Council, 113 High Street, Broadford VIC 3658 or email email@example.com.
- Once your Domestic Animal Business is approved you will be required to pay a registration fee.
We may contact the business to organise an inspection of facilities before registration each year.
Penalties for unregistered businesses
If your animal business is not registered with Council and/or doesn’t comply with the Codes of Practice you may be fined and your business registration may also be revoked.
Types of domestic animal businesses
- Council pound
- dog and/or cat breeding business
- dog training establishment
- pet shop
- animal shelter
- establishment boarding dogs or cats including pet sitting
- establishment that is rearing dogs or cats.
This page was last updated on 1 July 2021.