Skip to main content
Business permits and requirements

Advertising signs for your business

You may require a permit to display signage for your business.

Types of signs

Advertising signs on private land

You may need to apply for a Council permit to put up a temporary, mobile or permanent advertising sign on private land.

Contact Council’s Planning Department on 03 5734 6200 or email to find out if you need a permit.

Once you're ready to apply for a permit, complete the Small Business Combined Permit Application Form.

A-frame signboards

A permit is required to display an advertising signboard on Council property, including footpaths and road reserves.

Advertising signboard permits expire on 30 June each year and need to be renewed.

To apply to display an A-frame signboard, complete the required section of the Small Business Combine Permit Application Form.

Once you have submitted your application, an officer will call you to organise payment and next steps.

Tourist signage

Tourist signs gives visitors directions to tourist attractions and accommodation. Tourist signs on local roads are managed by Council, and by VicRoads for all VicRoads managed roads.

To talk about signs on all council managed roads, contact our Engineering Services Department on 03 5734 6200.

Township entrance event frames

We manage 9 tourism event promotion frames at township entrances in Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour, Wallan and Wandong. Enquiries can be directed to Council's Economic Development department.

To apply for your event to be featured on a sign:

This page was last updated on 30 December 2020.