Skip to main content
Business permits and requirements

Accommodation businesses

Prescribed accommodation and caravan parks

Prescribed accommodation and caravan parks must be registered with Council.

Prescribed accommodation includes residential accommodation, hotels and motels, hostels, student dormitories, holiday camps and rooming houses.

A rooming house is defined as a building where 1 or more rooms are available for occupancy on payment of rent where the total number of people is 4 or more.

Accommodation provided in the course of a person's employment also requires registration as Prescribed Accommodation under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Before registration is granted, the premises must comply with the requirements under the Act. An Environmental Health Officer will inspect the accommodation before issuing a registration.

A caravan park is registered under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

We inspect prescribed accommodation and caravan parks annually to ensure that they offer visitors and tenants a high standard of amenities and hygiene.

Registering your accommodation business

Before you commence trading, you need to register your new accommodation business with Council. To register your business with Council, fill out the required section of the Small Business Combined Permit Application Form.

Once you have submitted your application an officer will call you to organise payment and next steps.

Supporting documents you may require:

  • a plan of the accommodation premises drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 that shows the proposed use of each room.

Additional permits

You may need to speak to other relevant Council departments, such as Town Planning, Building or Local Laws, to find out if your business needs additional permits.

Rooming houses must change the class of the dwelling from Class 1A to a Class 1B to meet the requirements of the Building Regulations and Building Code of Australia.

If you aren't sure which other permits may be required, you can use our Small Business Self-Assessment tool to identify these and arrange for one of our team to contact you about the process.

Transferring ownership of an accommodation business

If you are buying an accommodation business you will need to transfer the registration into your name.

To transfer the registration:

Request an inspection

To request an inspection of your business or a business you are thinking of buying:


Glamping is a form of camping where accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those of traditional camping.

Glamping facilities include treehouses, yurts, safari tents, tipis, and domes and luxury tents (including bell tents).

You may require a registration from Council for glamping.

Please contact council on 03 5734 6200 and ask to speak to an Environmental Health Officer for more information on whether you need a registration.

This page was last updated on 20 July 2022.