Economic development strategies and plans
Mitchell Shire Council, together with partners and the community, have formulated development strategies and plans to strengthen, grow and build resilience within the local economies.
Economic Development Strategy
The Mitchell Shire Economic Development Strategy 2016- 2021 provides the strategic direction for Mitchell Shire Council.
The strategy includes a five-year economic development framework to:
- grow Mitchell’s economy, with a focus on job generation and sustainable economic growth
- build on Mitchell’s competitive advantages
- promote upskilling and innovation and strengthen engagement, relationships and communication with businesses
- investigate the sub-regional economy variances in Mitchell Shire
- identify projects and initiatives that will lead to significant economic benefit for the region.
Read the full Economic Development Strategy below.
Tourism and Visitor Economy Plan
The Mitchell Shire Council Tourism and Visitor Economy Plan 2020 – 2024 provides a strategic overview and plan for Council, its partners, local businesses and the community, to support, strengthen and grow the shire’s tourism and visitor economy. The plan includes a framework with eight key focus areas designed to:
- support business growth in the sector
- attract increased numbers of visitors
- encourage quality investment and job creation.
Read the full Tourism and Visitor Economy Plan below.
Great Victorian Rail Trail Strategic Development Plan
The Great Victorian Rail Trail is a 134km recreational trail that follows the old railway through Mansfield, Murrindindi and Mitchell Shire. The Great Victorian Rail Trail Strategic Development Plan has been created to guide the trail in transitioning from an asset into a signature tourism experience.
Read the full Great Victorian Rail Trail Strategic Development Plan below.
This page was last updated on 17 February 2021.