If you are aged 12 to 24 years and are motivated to make a difference in the community, you can apply to join Mitchell Youth Council.
Mitchell Youth Council is an advisory committee of Mitchell Shire Council and our Youth Development Program. It provides an important opportunity for young people to have input into Council decisions.
Mitchell Youth Council:
- helps Mitchell Shire Council find out about important issues for young people in the local area
- provides advice to Council about how these issues can be addressed
- develops local initiatives and projects for young people
How Youth Council works
There are usually 9 Youth Councillors between the Shire wards — North, Central, and South.
Additional positions may also be created to ensure the Youth Council represents a diversity of views and experience.
Council’s Youth Development Officer facilitates the Youth Council meetings and activities. Special guests, such as the Mayor, CEO and Senior Councillors attend meetings from time to time.
As a Youth Councillor you will be asked to attend:
- Youth Council meetings fortnightly
- events/functions (on occasions) including Council meetings when required
- occasional Councillor dinners prior to Mitchell Shire Council meeting
- leadership and development excursions
- Youth Council leadership camp
Our Youth Councillors
North Ward Youth Councillors
- Georgia Fletcher
- Paris Ingham
- Seth Barnbrook
- Trinity Marshall — Secretary
Central Ward Youth Councillors
Courtney Abela — Deputy Mayor
South Ward Youth Councillors
- Beau Milner
- Ebony Layley
- Thomas Starkey — Youth Mayor
Apply to join Mitchell Youth Council
Applications are currently closed.
For more information regarding time commitments, requirements and role definitions for the Youth Council, please refer to:
This page was last updated on 27 August 2020.