Homework club volunteer tutors
At Mitchell Youth Services, our purpose is to promote, develop and encourage the wellbeing of young people in the area. We do that by providing, facilitating, planning, and advocating for the needs and issues of young people, their families, and the community.
Wallan Homework Club is a culturally safe entry point for our emerging culturally and linguistically diverse communities and all young people in the local area. Wallan Homework Club provides young people access to a supportive educational environment, resources and tutoring to continue their educational journey.
Mitchell Youth Services is bound by our Council Child Safe Policy and other legislative requirements, including our Reportable Conduct Scheme and Victoria’s Child Safe Standards. Mitchell Youth Services follow Council policy guidelines and procedures around crisis support and intervention.
Are you suitable?
Suitable for volunteers or those studying:
- community services
- Bachelor of Education
- youth work
- a relevant course
This opportunity could go towards your student placement hours (if relevant).
Benefit for the tutors
- Experience working with community groups
- Experience working with young people
- Experience to put on your CV
3 hours per week required every Wednesday of school term 2-5pm at Wallan Youth Room.
- Volunteers and students complete a fit to work process, including mandatory police and working with children check
- Ability to work within Council’s Child Safe Policy, and other legislative requirements, including our Reportable Conduct Scheme and Victoria’s Child Safe Standards
- Interest and desire to assist young people with their education
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Ability to work in a culturally appropriate way with both young people and parents
- Ability to communicate effectively with young people
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the learning needs of students (Year 7-12)
- Assist with weekly homework tasks or assignments
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with young people in the program
- Work cooperatively with the other tutors and staff on the program
- Participate in any administrative or evaluation tasks
To find out more information or to apply to be a homework club volunteer tutor visit our Volunteering Mitchell.
This page was last updated on 24 January 2022.