Paying your rates
Your rates are due in four instalments:
- 1st instalment: 30 September
- 2nd instalment: 30 November
- 3rd instalment: 28 February
- 4th instalment: 31 May
Paying by Phone
You can pay your rates by phone using any of the following methods:
- BPay — contact your bank
- BPoint — phone 1300 BPOINT (1300 276 468)
- Australia Post BillPay — phone 131 816
Paying by Direct Debit
Direct debit payments allows the automatic debiting of rates from a nominated bank account
If you pay your rates by direct debit you can choose from:
- quarterly instalment dates; or
- 11 monthly payments from August to June
If any of these dates fall on a weekend or public holiday then payments will be processed on the next business day.
Note: To be eligible for direct debit arrangement, the rates payments must be up to date.
To organise direct debit payments complete the direct debit request form below and return to Mitchell Shire Council.
Alternatively, please contact Council on 03 5734 6200 for a form.
Paying in Person
Paying by Cheque or Money Order
The State Government provides pensioners with a rebate off their rates and charges. If you hold a current pensioner concession card you may be able to claim a rebate on your Council rates. The rebate is adjusted annually in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible you must meet these requirements:
- The property must be your sole or principal place of residence.
- Your property address the concession relates to must be the same as the address stated on your pension card.
- You must be the person liable for payment of the rates and charges.
- Your property must be used exclusively for residential purposes.
- You must not have claimed a rebate on any other property in the same financial year.
For more information about concessions, go to the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Claiming a Pension Rebate
- complete the Application for Concession on Municipal Rates and Charges form (download below)
- return the document in person at any of our Customer and Library Service Centres; or
- return the document to Mitchell Shire Council
If you have previously applied and your circumstances have not changed, the rebate will automatically be applied to your rates each year.
Please advise Council if your circumstances have changed and you are no longer eligible for a rebate.
Note: Holders of Health Care Cards are not eligible for a rebate.
Are you having trouble paying your rates? Please contact us as soon as possible to discuss your situation and set up a payment plan to avoid extra costs.
Interest will be charged until overdue amounts are paid in full.
Overdue balances that don’t have an up to date payment plan may be referred to a debt collection agency.
For ratepayers facing financial difficulties, assistance may be available under Council’s Financial Hardship policy.
To apply for consideration under council’s financial hardship policy:
- book a free appointment with your local financial councillor
- complete the Application for Consideration Due to Financial Hardship form (download below)
- return the application in person at any of our Customer and Library Service Centres; or
- return the application to Mitchell Shire Council
Further information and resources can be found at ASIC's Money Smart website.