Skip to main content
Waste and resource recovery

Disposing of waste the right way

Are you unsure of how to dispose of your waste?

Kerbside recycling bin (yellow lid)

Containers do not need to be rinsed but need to be empty. Do not place recyclables in plastic bags.

  • glass bottles and jars
  • plastic bottles and containers
  • steel food tins and aerosol cans
  • aluminium cans and foil
  • newspaper, magazines and cardboard
  • pizza boxes and paper
  • phone books
  • plastic plant pots.

Kerbside garbage bin (red lid)

  • bagged household garbage
  • nappies
  • polystyrene and foam
  • paper towel and napkins
  • food waste*
  • broken glass and crockery
  • soft plastics*
  • worn out clothing and shoes*.
Food waste *

Where possible try composting your food scraps – they make great fertiliser for your garden. Read more about compost bins and worm farms.

Clothing and shoes *

Donate your old clothes and shoes to a charity shop. If items are too worn and can’t be donated they can be used as cleaning rags or placed in your garbage bin.

Soft plastics *

Soft plastics can be dropped at supermarkets for collection and recycling. Find a drop-off point near you REDcycle: where to REDcycle.

Take it to a Resource Recovery Centre

Recyclable items accepted (at no charge)

Residents and ratepayers can take the following items to our Resource Recovery Centres for recycling:

  • motor oil (up to 20 litres only)
  • e-waste
  • cardboard
  • steel
  • car batteries
  • gas bottles
  • empty drumMUSTER drums
  • fluorescent light tubes
  • some hard plastics.

Sort your load before you visit and start saving.

Items accepted (fees apply)

You can take the following items to any of our Resource Recovery Centres for a fee:

  • garbage
  • green waste
  • bricks, rubble, timber and other building materials
  • motor oil containers
  • mattresses
  • couches
  • tyres.
Green waste

We accept tree trimmings, bushes and other garden waste.

Natural wood and tree branches (must be under 300mm in diameter) and grass clippings must be sorted from non-green waste items before arrival. Green waste must be free of garbage, wire and declared noxious weeds. Any loads containing items other than green waste will be charged accordingly.


E-waste refers to unwanted electronic goods such as computers, TVs and DVD players. Up to 98% of e-waste materials are able to be recovered and recycled for reuse in the manufacturing of new products. E-waste can be deposited at all of Council’s Resource Recovery Centres free of charge.

Our Resource Recovery Centres don’t accept:

  • truck loads (trailers/utes/car boot loads only)
  • soluble chemical wastes
  • hazardous or liquid wastes
  • asbestos products
  • flammable materials
  • commercial waste loads
  • over 3 cubic metres of concrete or bricks
  • car bodies
  • loads in excess of 4m3
  • loads containing hazardous materials.

Other recycling services


Asbestos was used extensively as a building material prior to 1985. The use of asbestos is now banned nationally. Council's Resource Recovery Centres cannot accept asbestos. Some asbestos can be disposed of at Hanson Landfill. Visit the Hanson Landfill website for more information.

For more information about identifying, safely removing and disposing of asbestos:


Syringes cannot be disposed of at Resource Recovery Centres. Sharps containers are available from any of our Customer and Library Service Centres.

Household Chemicals

Dispose of unwanted household chemicals safely and for free. Detox your Home mobile collections are held across Victoria each year. For collections locations and dates and accepted products go to Detox Your Home Website.

In the meantime, Sustainability Victoria has some tips on how you can store unwanted household chemicals until you can safely dispose of them.

Agvet chemicals

The ChemClear® program collects and disposes of unwanted registered agvet chemicals. You will be asked to pay a per litre/kilogram fee for disposal of some chemicals. To register go to ChemClear or call 1800 008 182.

Paint, fluorescent tubes, batteries

Leave your paint, household batteries and fluorescent tubes at a Detox your home mobile or permanent drop-off site. There are permanent drop-off sites located in Shepparton, Eaglehawk and Campbellfield. Visit the Sustainability Victoria website for locations and further information.

Household batteries

By recycling your batteries you divert toxic and hazardous substances from landfill and allow non-renewable resources in batteries to be recovered.

Battery recycling programs:

Empty chemical drums

drumMUSTER collects and recycles empty agvet chemical containers (for free). To be eligible your containers must:

  • carry the drumMUSTER logo
  • be 1 litre/kg to 205 litre/kg
  • be clean, dry and free of chemical residue (dirt, rust and dye stains are acceptable)
  • have lids removed
  • be pierced from the top through to the bottom for draining and airing (if made of metal)

There are drumMUSTER collection facilities at Wallan and Seymour Resource Recovery Centres.

Silage wrap and twine

To dispose of your silage wrap and baling twine, buy a Plasback plastic bag at Wales Rural, 38 Emily Street Seymour. Full bags can be taken to Seymour or Wallan Resource Recovery Centres.

Mobile phones

Mobile recycling programs include:

  • MobileMuster — a free recycling program that accepts all brands and types of mobile phones, plus their batteries, chargers and accessories.
Printer cartridges

Planet Ark is a free, easy and environmentally-accredited way to recycle your used printer cartridges. Find the nearest drop off point on the Planet Art: collection partners.


Alex Fraser Epping accepts clean concrete, mixed concrete and brick, clean asphalt and clean rock. All loads need to be taken in a tipper truck, no trailers accepted on site.

Contact Alex Fraser on 136 135 for more information and costs for disposal.

This page was last updated on 19 April 2022.