Skip to main content
Roads and parking

Works in the road reserve

If you wish to undertake any works within the road reserve, you need a works within the road reserve permit (also known as a road opening permit) from Council.

Works within the road reserve permit process

Step 1

Complete the works within the road reserve consent application.

Step 2

You will need to supply a traffic management plan and a completed traffic management approval form if your works:

  • impact traffic
  • block a road
  • require roadwork signs on the road.

More information on Traffic Management Plan requirement and process.

More information

Step 3

You will be required to supply proof of public liability insurance for a minimum of $10 million.

Step 4

Take your completed documents (steps 1 to 3) to one of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the relevant fees. Alternatively, you can email the documents to Mitchell Shire and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

Applications will be processed within 10 business days.


  • incomplete document submission may delay processing time
  • all applications will be considered in line with guidelines, policy and design standards and may be refused if it is not in line with these requirements.

Step 5

Book a pre-works inspection

Once you receive your permit (along with Councils requirements), you can begin your road opening works.

If you are required to have a pre-works inspection (will be defined in the permit) this can be booked by contacting the Engineering Department on 03 5734 6200.

Minimum 48-hour notice is required for an inspection appointment.

Step 6

Book a final inspection

You are required to book a final inspection by contacting the Engineering Department on 03 5734 6200.

A Council officer will conduct an inspection to ensure reinstatement has been done correctly.

You are responsible for any damage in the area until we conduct a final inspection of the works.


What is a road reserve?

The road reserve is the public land beyond your property.

It includes the road, nature strips, footpath, kerb and channel and roadside drains.

See diagram for more information.

What is a works within road reserve permit?

A permit for digging or excavation within the road reserve. This permit is sometimes known as a road opening permit.

What type of works require a works within road reserve permit?
  • vehicle crossings/crossover
  • drainage connections
  • minor works associated with a service connection, water tapping, stormwater connection
  • kerb and channelling works
  • construction of footpath
  • any intrusive works

If you require more information, please contact Council's Engineering Department on 03 5734 6200.

Why do I need a permit?

A permit is required in order to protect public safety, minimise damage to Council assets and ensure reinstatement works comply with construction standards and specifications.

You must apply for a permit for every project/job you undertake.

Works must not commence (including excavation) until your permit has been issued.

Once issued, your permit for work is valid for 3 months unless and otherwise defined in the permit.


Works in the Road Reserve Diagram
Management and maintenance responsibilities for Council and property owners.

This page was last updated on 3 June 2022.