Driving recreational vehicles
You need a permit to use recreational vehicles:
- in a residential area
- in the urban growth area on land under 1 acre (4000 square metres)
- within 200 metres of a neighbouring house
A permit is also required if a recreational vehicle or model vehicle is used within 200 metres of land used for residential purposes and the land is owned or occupied by a tenant or someone other than the owner of the land on which the recreation vehicle is to be used.
Recreational vehicles include motorbikes and mini bikes.
Applying for a RV permit
- complete a Permit Application Recreational Vehicle 2020 (download below)
- return the document to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres
- pay the relevant fee or request an invoice to make payment
When we receive your application, we will work out if you instead need to apply for a planning permit.
We will inspect your property and ask your neighbours if they object to use of the recreational vehicle. If a permit is issued conditions will apply.
Your permit needs to be renewed annually.
For further information contact our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200.
This page was last updated on 1 July 2020.