Registration, Identification & Permits

Register your animals for their safe return

Animal Registration, Identification and Permits

Dog and Cat Registration and Identification

It is important that domestic pets such as dogs and cats do not become a risk to local wildlife or stock. Registration ensures that should your pet go missing it can be returned to you as soon as possible.

Every dog and cat three months of age and over must be registered with your local council. Existing registrations must be renewed by 10 April each year. Before council can accept a new animal registration, dogs and cats must be microchipped. Animal Registration Forms are available for download at the base of this page.
Pet registration is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. You must register your dog(s) or cat(s) over three months of age with your local council each year. You can be fined $317 per pet for not complying.

Council adopted a new Animal Registration Fee Scheme at its Council meeting in June 2017. The new fee scheme is designed to encourage responsible pet ownership. Significant discounts are available for cats and dogs that are desexed or obedience trained.

The fees below are applicable for dog and cat registration expiring 10 April 2019


  • Standard fee dog - $205
  • Standard fee dog pension rate - $102
  • KCC/VCA registered, working dog or older than 10 years - $52
  • KCC/VCA registered, working dog or older than 10 years pension rate - $26
  • Obedience trained* -$41
  • Obedience trained* pension rate $20.50
  • Desexed dog- $31
  • Desexed dog pension rate - $15.50
  • Desexed and obedience trained dog by an approved organisation* - $21
  • Desexed and obedience trained dog Pension Rate* - $10.50
  • Initial registration for adopted dog from an approved shelter or under 12 weeks of age $5
  • Declared dogs (Dangerous, Menacing and Restricted breed) $360 (Pro rata not available)
  • Guard Dog $205


  • Standard fee cat $205
  • Standard fee cat pension rate – $102
  • FCC registered or older than 10 years $52
  • FCC registered or older than 10 years pension rate $26
  • Desexed cat $21
  • Desexed cat pension rate $10.50
  • Initial registration for adopted cat from an approved shelter or under 12 weeks of age $5

Foster Carer Packages now available - Contact 5734 6200 for more information

Proof of eligibility is required to qualify for a discounted category

*Obedience trained - Must provide a certificate issued by one of the four government approved obedience training organisations as listed on the Registration Discounts FAQ Sheet.

For information on criteria to receive a reduced fee see the Registration Discounts FAQ sheet  (PDF, 2MB)

Livestock Identification Requirements

Farm animals are very popular with owners of small properties, whether you have a goat to keep the grass down or pony for your children.

There are Council regulations (see Extra Animals Factsheet PDF, 803K)  and state legal requirements you must comply with if you own a farm animal.

The first thing you must do when you are looking to own cattle (cows), sheep, pigs, goats, alpacas, llamas, horses, deer or more than 100 poultry is apply for a Livestock Property Identification Code (PIC).  

PICs are free and easy to obtain through the Department of Economic Development’s Livestock PICs Website page.

PICs are important in the event of a serious livestock disease outbreak. They allow for the tracing of animals to detect where an outbreak may have started and to help control and eradicate disease.  PICs are also linked to systems such as the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) and commercial operators will need a PIC to sell and move animals.

To find out more about PICS and to obtain yours, visit the Livestock PICs Website page.

For further information contact the Local Laws Department on (03) 5734 6200.

File Downloads and Related Links
Link or File Info Format Size
Mitchell Shire forms, applications and information for dogs and cats:
This form can be completed using Acrobat. Once you have completed the form ensure you save a copy. You will need to email the application form and all required documents to For payment you can complete the credit card details or a Customer Service Team member will call you for payment.
pdf 203 Kb
This form can be printed, completed and returned to a Customer Service Centre with any relevant documentation. You can then pay using cash, card or cheque at the counter. If you complete the credit card payment section on the form you can post your completed registration form and documents to Council at 113 High Street Broadford VIC 3658.
pdf 148 Kb
Information about discounts that apply to Animal Registration
pdf 1567 Kb
Information about proof required to claim the working dog status discounted animal registration.
pdf 527 Kb
Use this form if you have moved to another Mitchell Shire address to update your animal registration.
pdf 228 Kb
This form is used to transfer the ownership of a dog or cat that is currently registered with Council. The new owner is also required to complete the Domestic Animal Registration Form.
pdf 325 Kb
pdf 804 Kb
pdf 920 Kb
pdf 375 Kb
Use this form to apply to keep extra animals on your property.
pdf 226 Kb
Further information on dog and cat ownership:
Mitchell Shire Local Laws Information:
pdf 2680 Kb
Mitchell Shire forms, applications and information for livestock:
pdf 78 Kb
pdf 45 Kb
pdf 78 Kb
pdf 355 Kb
Further information for livestock: