Bushfire Places of Last Resort (NSP)
If you are unable to carry out your fire plan you can go to a Bushfire Place of Last Resort, also known as a Neighbourhood Safer Place (NSP), near you.
These places provide short-term shelter from the immediate life-threatening effects of bushfire. They are often open fields or reserves with little or no facilities. Your safety and survival is not guaranteed.
Leaving early is your greatest chance of surviving a bushfire.
About Bushfire Places of Last Resort:
Places of last resort will be assessed by the CFA as providing some protection from immediate risk of direct fire attack, but not necessarily from other risks, such as flying embers.
It's important to note that:
- they are not community fire refuges or emergency relief centres
- many houses may offer better protection
- travelling to an Bushfire Place of Last Resort during a bushfire can be extremely dangerous
- you should only use an Bushfire Place of Last Resort when your primary bushfire plan has failed or cannot be implemented
- there is no guarantee that CFA or other emergency services will be present at a Bushfire Place of Last Resort during a bushfire
- there are no facilities for people with special needs, including those requiring medical attention
- Bushfire Place of Last Resort may be uncomfortable
- there may be no access to water for you or your pets
- no other services will be provided
Mitchell Shire Bushfire Places of Last Resort
Harley Hammond Reserve Oval and car park area, bounded by Hamilton, Gavan and Powlett streets, Broadford. Enter via Gavan Street.
Kilmore Racing Club
Bitumen car park and overflow (grassland) carpark, J Kelly Pavilion, East Street Kilmore Victoria. Note: The Trackside Function Centre is not an NSP.
Pyalong Recreation Reserve Hall
Pyalong Recreation Reserve Building, Northern Highway (near corner of West Road), Pyalong.
Chittick Park Oval, Pollard Street, Seymour.
CWA Park, Corner Main Street (Upper Goulbourn Road) and Railway Place, Tallarook.
Recreation Reserve Public Hall, Northern Highway, between Seymour-Tooborac Road and Middle Springs Road, Tooborac.
Hadfield Park (outdoors area), bounded by Northern Highway, Wallan-Whittlesea Road, Windham Street and Queen Street, Wallan.
Wandong Plaza and IGA Supermarket Carpark, 3272 Epping-Kilmore Road, Wandong.
Mitchell Shire Neighbourhood Safer Places Plan
The Mitchell Shire Neighbourhood Safer Places Plan outlines the process for identifying, designating, establishing, maintaining and decommissioning Neighbourhood Safer Places within Mitchell Shire.
This page was last updated on 4 January 2022.