How residents can prepare
Get Fire Ready
Your Bushfire Survival Plan
It is important to have a thorough bushfire survival plan in place. The safest option to protect you and your family is to leave early and avoid panic or making the wrong choices.
When creating your plan you should consider the following points, as well as who in the household will do each part.
- Which Fire Danger Rating is your trigger to leave?
- Where will you go?
- What route will you take?
- What will you take with you?
- What do you need to organise for your pets or livestock?
- Who will you tell that you’re leaving?
- How will you stay informed about warnings and updates?
- What is your plan B if your car won’t start?
Use the CFA Fire Ready Kit to develop your Bushfire Survival Plan.
Prepare Your Property
- keep grass and undergrowth trimmed — below 200 mm
- rake up and reduce leaf litter and overgrown shrubs
- remove branches overhanging buildings and leaf litter from roofs and gutters
- store fuels and chemicals away from your house
- move woodpiles away from the house
- ensure underfloor areas are enclosed or screened
- prevent embers from entering your house by sealing gaps, vents and roof spaces
For Rural and Semi-Rural Allotments
- reduce fuel for at least 20 metres around dwellings, your boundary fence and neighbours’ assets
- make your stock safe — build a fire safe area or paddock by creating a mineral earth break and reducing fuel loads
- create a firebreak of 10 metres around the perimeter of any allotment boundary that adjoins a township
Grass slashing contractors
This is not a complete list of all contractors operating in Mitchell Shire
You may find other contractors by searching online, the phone directory or local newspapers.
|Ray Lingard||0412 964 623||Any area – has tractor and small mower|
|Graeme Wilkie||0417 039 798||Any – has tractor, reach mower etc|
|Robert Reid||0407 509 662||Broadford, Pyalong, Tallarook area – up to 5 acres|
|Henry Marszalek||0419 501 484||Any area|
|Brian Christall||0418 108 069||Any area – up to 2 acres|
|Paul Brislin||0409 299 439||Anywhere – any size|
|Adrian Donis||0418 993 927||Will do anything anywhere from push mowing to tractor work, Prefer South locations|
|Garry Callinan||5781 1192 or 0430 965 205||Any area – Residential and small blocks, fire breaks on larger blocks|
Download the Victorian Government VicEmergency App
The VicEmergency app is the official Victorian Government app for access to community information and warnings for all types of emergencies in Victoria. It is managed by Emergency Management Victoria and supported by the Department of Justice.
Users can download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
If you and your family were affected by an emergency, could you repair, replace or rebuild your most valued possessions?
Insurance gives you peace of mind and helps you bounce back financially if an emergency does affect you.
Maintaining Grass on Private Property
Property owners or occupier of the land are required to maintain the grass on private property all year round. Failing to do so could result in a penalty.
Green Waste Drop-off
Green waste can be taken to any of Resource Recovery Centres all year round. Please note that fees apply.
See our waste and resource recovery page for more info.
In the event of an emergency, the power to your property and across the shire may be affected. Visit power outages for more information on how to ensure you have prepared an emergency kit.
This page was last updated on 16 October 2020.