Inspecting properties for fire hazards
We inspect properties for fire hazards year-round. Your property must be clear of fire hazards before and during the Fire Danger Period. If you need advice about managing your land to reduce fuel loads:
- go to CFA: How to prepare your property
- talk to the local brigade
- contact the Mitchell Shire Municipal Fire Prevention Officer on 03 5734 6200
The type of work you will be asked to do will be determined by where you live and the size of your property.
Fire prevention notice
If your property is deemed a risk, you will be issued with a Fire Prevention Notice (FPN) that explains what actions you must take to reduce the risk.
If you fail to comply with the notice, we will carry out the works and charge you for the cost of work. You will also get a fine.
Objecting to a fire prevention notice
If you wish to object to a fire prevention notice:
- contact Council's Municipal Fire Prevention Officer in writing prior to the due date on the notice
- send your objection in writing to Mitchell Shire Council
To discuss a notice or ask about fire prevention, call our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200.
This page was last updated on 8 October 2021.