Skip to main content
Burning off and fireworks

Burning off — what can I burn?

When burning off on your property, it is important to know what materials can and can't be burnt. For a comprehensive guide, watch the below video.

Do not burn the following materials

  • wet materials (make sure all green waste has dried out before burning)
  • non-timber building materials
  • treated or painted wood
  • styrofoam
  • rubber or plastic, including plastic mulch, plant pots and packaging materials
  • furnishings and carpet
  • manufactured chemicals
  • petrol or oil products
  • paint
  • food waste
  • manure and straw
  • carcasses of dead animals or birds, unless prescribed by the Department of Agriculture as the only means of disposal
  • magazines
  • other offensive, noxious or toxic matter.

The following items are safe to burn

  • dried green waste including tree branches, grass, scrub and stubble
  • wood that has not been treated or painted

Before burning off

  • check CFA and Mitchell Shire regulations
  • notify your neighbours of your activity will generate fire and smoke
  • check the weather forecast the day of the activity and a few days afterwards. If more than light winds are forecast, you should postpone your burn-off
  • have a 3-meter clearance of any flammable material around the while burn off
  • you should have enough people to monitor, contain and extinguish the burn safely and effectively
  • you have enough water to extinguish an outbreak
  • register your burn with the CFA

This page was last updated on 25 November 2021.