Skip to main content
Fire and other emergencies

Flood, storms and landslips

How you can prepare for a flood or storm in our area, understand how to stay safe, the hazards of returning home and who to ask for help to recover from a storm or flood emergency.

Preparing for a Flood or Storm

Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) is the agency responsible for planning for storms and floods, and for managing flood and storm responses.

Understand warnings and how to prepare your home:

SES also prepares information about your region: SES: Mitchell Shire Council Local Flood Information

Consider Insurance

If you and your family were affected by an emergency, could you repair, replace or rebuild your most valued possessions?

Insurance gives you peace of mind and helps you bounce back financially if an emergency does affect you.

During a Storm or Flood

Follow the Warnings

Victoria State Emergency Service and the Bureau of Meteorology work together to warn the community about storms and floods.

Call for Help

For flood or storm emergency assistance from SES call 132 500.

For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000).

Observe Road Closed Signs

Avoid unnecessary travel. Drive slowly, obey all roadblocks and never drive through floodwater.

For the latest list of VicRoads road closures go to VicRoads traffic or call 13 11 70.

Report a Fallen Tree or Hazard

To report a hazard on a local road, call Council on 03 5734 6200.

To report a hazard or tree down on a road managed by VicRoads road, call 13 11 70.

Check who manages roads in our Shire.

Report Damage to Council Property

Contact Council or our After Hours Emergency Service to report trees down over roads, water flowing over roads with no signage in place, or damage to Council facilities — phone 03 5734 6200.

Charge your Devices

If your power is out and you need to charge your mobile phone, you can drop in to one of Council's Customer and Library Services Centres during business hours and charge them up.

Power Outages

Keep clear of fallen powerlines and keep others away. Take care with temporary generators. For more information about power outages go to Department Environment, Land, Water and Planning: Safety and emergencies – Power outages.

Find out more about Power Outages.

Missing or Wandering Animals

If you have a lost or found an animal, contact Council's Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200.

If your fences are damaged, contain your pets in your home until they can be repaired.

Livestock and horses should be moved to another property or paddock until fences can be repaired.

See Animal management and emergencies for more information.

After the Event

Returning Home After a Flood or Storm

After a flood or storm you will need to check your home for structural damage, gas leaks, contaminated water, damaged septic tanks and more. Helpful information:

Restoring Power to your Property

If there has been significant damage to your property, make sure a licensed electrician checks that it is safe to turn your power back on.

After a power outage, restoring power is usually the responsibility of your local electricity distribution company, who own and maintain the poles and wires bringing power to your home.

Personal Support to Recover from a Flood or Storm

Counselling and support is available from:

Flood Emergency Plan

The Flood Emergency Plan is a sub-plan of the Mitchell Shire Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP) and Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (MHWP).

The aim of the Plan is to reduce the risk of harm caused by flood events within Mitchell Shire.

View the Mitchell Shire Flood Emergency Plan along with all other Emergency Management plans.

This page was last updated on 23 November 2020.