Flood and storm Emergencies

Council and VicEmergency details

Flood and Storm Emergencies

Storms impacted our area on 19 December 2017 with many parts of our shire affected. We've prepared a small summary of support available and information for common enquiries we are receiving.


Council is offering free green waste drop-offs at its Resource Recovery Centres in Broadford, Pyalong, Seymour and Wallan until 31 December to help residents clean up their properties after the storms.

Please click HERE to check opening hours and please note, all sites will be closing slightly early on Christmas Eve. 

Residents will need to bring proof of ID and address. 


If you come across a tree down or any other hazard (such as debris) on a local road, please let Council know by calling 5734 6200.

To report a hazard or tree down on a road managed by VicRoads road, call 13 11 70.

Not sure what is a Council road and what is a VicRoads road? Click HERE to find out.  


Pyalong Kindergarten - CLOSED TODAY (Wednesday 20 December)

Maternal and Child Health at Wallan Family and Children's Centre - enter via Queen Street (Wednesday 20 December)

POWER OUTAGES (including food safety)

The Victorian Government has prodiced a guide to coping with power outages, including information on food safety.

Please click HERE to read the guide.

RECOVERING FROM A STORM (INcluding making insurance claims)

If you've been effected by a storm, the Victorian Government has some useful tips on recovery efforts including:

  • Making insurance claims
  • Generators
  • Septic tanks
  • Mosquitos
  • Food safety

Please click HERE to read the guide.


Have no power and need to charge your devices such as mobile phones? You can bring them in to Council's Customer and Library Services Centres in Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour and Wallan and charge them up.

To check opening hours, click HERE.


If you have a lost animal or find an animal, please contact Council's Local Laws team on 5734 6200.

If storms have damaged your property's fences, try and contain your animals in your home until they can be repaired.

Livestock and horses should be moved to another property or paddock until fences can be repaired. 


For the latest on main roads and highways, please visit VicRoads traffic.

We have had had reports of people ignoring road closed signs. Please do not enter floodwaters under any circumstances. The signs are in place to protect your safety.

after hours emergency service

You can use our after hours number on 5734 6200 to report urgent hazards such as trees down over roads, significant flowing water over roads if there is no signage in place, or damage to Council facilities.  

Any calls regarding private property inundation or damage should be referred to the SES or emergency services on 132 500 (or 000 in life threatening emergencies). 

Warnings and emergency information

The Victoria State Emergency Service and the Bureau of Meteorology work together to warn the community about storms and floods. 

VicEmergency website  

Bureau of Meteorology website  


Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) is the control agency for flooding in Victoria, which means that they are responsible for planning for floods, and for managing flood response.

Flood Safe resources

The SES has put together some important information and tools that can help you prepare and learn more about what you can do to prepare your home from floods. Find out more information on  Floodsafe, the SES website and VicEmergency.

Assistance during a flood or storm

If you  need assistance, please call SES on 132 500 or 000 in life threatening emergencies.

Road safety 

Be aware of road hazards such as mud, debris and damaged roads or bridges.

Avoid unnecessary travel. Drive slowly, obey all roadblocks and never drive through floodwater.

For the latest list of VicRoads road closures check www.vicroads.vic.gov.au or call 13 11 70 . 

Power outages

  • Keep clear of fallen powerlines and keep others away
  • Be careful with temporary generators
  • If there has been significant damage to your property, make sure a licensed electrician checks that it's safe to turn your power back on.

For more information about power outages please visit www.energy.vic.gov.au

Recovering from a flood or storm

VicEmergency has a range of information about recovering from a flood or storm including safety precautions around your property. emergency recovery assistance and mental health and wellbeing. 

Counselling and support is available from the following organisations

Lifeline www.lifeline.org.au phone 13 11 14
Beyond Blue www.beyondblue.org.au phone 1300 224 636
Kids Helpline www.kidshelp.com.au phone 1800 551 800
SANE Australia www.sane.org phone 1800 187 263


Emergency Contacts 

For further information and warnings, go to the VicEmergency Website Preparing For Flood page or call the VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226.

For flood or storm emergency assistance from SES call 132 500.

For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000).

Further information about what to do during a flood can be found on the SES website.


Victoria State Emergency Service is the control agency for storms in Victoria, which means that they are responsible for planning for storms and for managing storm response if they do occur.

Storms can happen anywhere, at any time of year and are often accompanied by strong winds, large hailstones and lightning. Storms cost Victorians an average of $28 million each year, and can cause significant damage to homes, businesses and community infrastructure. 

For flood or storm emergency help contact the SES on 132 500.

Preparing your home for storms

SES has put together some important information that can help you learn more about what you can do to prepare your home for storms. Find out more information on Stormsafe.

Visit the VicEmergency website for more resources and links.