Skip to main content
Community health

Restricting alcohol consumed in public places

We restrict times that alcohol can be consumed in public places to lessen the likelihood of unsavoury behaviour, and to help make our Shire safer for residents and visitors.

Alcohol cannot be consumed in a public place between 12noon and 8pm. This includes roads, footpaths or municipal places excluding municipal reserves. During this time you must have a permit to consume or carry an open receptacle of liquor unless signs state otherwise.

Serving Alcohol at Events in Public Places

If you are holding an event in a Council park or building and propose serving or consuming alcohol, you need to apply for a permit.

How to apply for a permit

This clause does not apply to events or festivals where a license has been obtained under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 for the consumption or possession of alcohol. You can call our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200 to discuss your situation.

This page was last updated on 22 April 2020.