Our kindergartens provide children with opportunities for social interaction, creative activities and physical development.
All centres are licensed with the Department of Education and Training. We employ only qualified Early Childhood teachers and educators.
Our kindergartens are committed to running a high quality educational program where:
- the needs of individual children provide the focus for planning
- play is seen as the important medium for learning
- equal opportunity for all children is a high priority
We operate or offer enrolment at kindergartens in Beveridge, Broadford, Flowerdale, Kilmore, Pyalong, Seymour, Wandong and Wallan.
Kindergarten Term Dates
Our kindergartens operate during Victorian school terms:
- Term 1: 29 January to 5 April
- Term 2: 23 April to 28 June
- Term 3: 15 July to 20 September
- Term 4: 7 October to 20 December
The Department of Education and Training provides funding for children to attend kindergarten in the year before they start school. See the Department of Education and Training: term dates.
Going to Kindergarten
3 year old kindergarten
Your child must turn 3 years old on or before 30 April in the year they attend kindergarten.
Your child must have turned 3 years old to be eligible to commence sessions.
4 year old kindergarten
Your child must turn 4 years old on or before 30 April in the year they attend kindergarten.
Is your child ready for kindergarten?
Your child may be old enough to attend but they may not be ready. You can discuss your child's readiness with a:
- Local Kindergarten Teacher
- Maternal and Child Health Nurse
- Children's Services staff member at Council
For more information contact the Children's Services Team on 03 5734 6200 or visit Department of Education and Training: for Parents.
No Jab No Play
All children must be immunised before we can confirm their enrolment in an early childhood service. See Better Health Channel: No Jab No Play.
Applying for a Place in Kindergarten
Applications for round 1 kindergarten places should be made by 1 June the year before attending. If you wish to apply for a place in the current year you can do so at any time, see below or contact us on 03 5734 6200.
When you apply for place a Mitchell kindergarten you will need to:
- supply a copy of your child’s birth certificate
- nominate your preferred kindergarten and program
Apply for a kindergarten place for next year
You can apply online using our Kindergarten Online Application.
Alternatively, if you would prefer to apply in person:
- print out hard copy application form below; or
- request a hard copy application form by contacting Mitchell Shire Council
- submit your application at any of our Customer and Library Service Centres
Confirming your Child’s Place at Kindergarten
If your application was received by 1 August you should hear from us in September. You will be asked to accept the offer.
Your child's enrolment is confirmed when we receive their immunisation documentation plus payment of your first scheduled fees or a current concession card.
Apply for Work Placement in a Kindergarten
If you are studying and want to do a work placement in one of our kindergartens:
- Complete the Work Placement Application Form below
- Submit the form at least 1 month prior to your placement to ensure adequate time for the processing of your request
Note: We receive a lot of applications and cannot offer places to all students.