During the Covid-19 response period
- Please maintain required social distancing of 1.5 metres
- Masks are required at all times
- Only one parent/guardian should accompany a child for immunisation
- Everyone must use the hand sanitiser provided at the centre
- Please observe all signs and directions of the nurse.
PEOPLE MUST NOT ATTEND FOR IMMUNISATION IF THEY OR THEIR CHILD:
- Have symptoms of a respiratory infection (such as fever, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath or a cough)
- Are a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Are a close contact of a confirmed case of coronavirus (Covid-19)
Immunising young children
Our childhood immunisation service is offered free to all children. Bring your child to a scheduled immunisation clinic to discuss your child’s immunisation program and receive the required vaccines.
We can work out catch-up programs for children who are overdue and help transfer records to the Australian Immunisation Register for children from overseas.
Vaccines for secondary school students
Our Immunisation Nurses give vaccines at all secondary schools within the Shire.
Consent cards are sent home with students to be completed by the parent or guardian and returned to the school.
- Year 7 students: HPV (2 doses 6-months apart required) and Boostrix (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis/Whooping Cough)
- Year 10 students: Meningococcal ACWY (1 dose)
Other vaccines available
The National immunisation programme does not cover all vaccines for all ages. If you require additional vaccines that are not included in the programme, our immunisation clinics have the following vaccines available for purchase.
|Diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (whooping cough)||$45.00|
|Varicella (chicken pox)||$65.00|
Payment can be made in the clinic by credit card, debit card or cash.
Vaccines for seniors
Please note: no further flu stock available for the remainder of the 2020 flu season for 65+.
If you are aged 65 years or older, you are eligible for the influenza vaccination free of charge at any of our immunisation clinics. Attend any immunisation session that suits. No appointment is necessary.
Centrelink and immunisation statement access
If you have received a letter from Centrelink stating that your secondary school child’s immunisations are not up-to-date, please contact the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809.
Centrelink needs to verify your child’s immunisation status on the Australian Immunisation Register. To make this happen, the child’s Medicare number must be registered/re-registered.
If your child’s Medicare number is not registered, Family Tax Benefits could be affected.
Medicare online account for students
Children over 14 years must register with myGov for a Medicare online account. Parents of children over the age of 14 will not be able to access Medicare or immunisation information through their own Medicare online account.
View your immunisation history statements
To view your Immunisation History Statement you can either:
- go to my.gov.au and sign in to your Medicare online account. If you do not have a myGov account, you can create one and then link it to your Medicare account; or
- use the Express Plus Medicare mobile app. To download the app go to Australian Government Human Services: Express Plus mobile apps
If you are unable to access the Immunisation History Statement online, you can get a copy by calling the Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809.
Viewing statements for children 14+ years
If your child is 14 years or over you will cannot view their immunisation history statement in your account. Your child must create their own Medicare online account through myGov to view their immunisation history statement.
Please see the Mitchell Immunisation History Request Form below.
Useful phone numbers
|myGov||myGov help desk (select option 1)||Mon–Fri 7am–10pm, Sat–Sun 10am–5pm||132 307|
|Families||Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit, Parenting Payment||Mon–Fri 8am–8pm||136 150|
|Medicare||General Enquiries||7 days a week, 24 hours a day||132 011|
|Languages||Multilingual Phone Service||Mon–Fri 8am–5pm||131 202|
Flu immunisations for business
We offer an annual flu immunisation program service to the Mitchell Shire community and businesses.
Other industry type immunisation can be arranged as required.
Please contact Council on 03 5734 6355 to discuss your needs and our fees.
Whooping cough (Boostrix) vaccine
You are eligible to receive the free Whooping Cough vaccine if you are Victorian and you are:
- the parent or guardian of a baby that is under 6 months of age and you have not received a booster in the last 10 years
- the partner of a woman who is at least 28 weeks pregnant and you have not received a booster in the last 10 years
- Pregnancy: from 20 weeks to 32 weeks
All other family members can purchase the vaccine for $45.
For more information about eligibility go to the Victorian Government: Immunisation
This page was last updated on 2 October 2020.