Environmental and Public Health

Forms and information for businesses and householders

Environmental and Public Health

The Environmental Health Department is responsible for maintaining public health, the prevention of disease and ensuring food safety for the community.

This is carried out through inspection and auditing of premises for compliance with Statutory Acts:


Under the Food Act 1984, Council is responsible for:
  • Inspection and auditing of food establishments
  • Sampling of local produce for compliance with the Food Code
  • Investigating food borne incidents and complaints

For more information visit the Department of Health Food Safety webpage.

Requirements for New Food Premises

All proprietors proposing to establish new food premises must comply with the Food Act 1984 and the Food Safety Standards Code.

Prior to the commencement of any building works it is advised that contact be made with Council's Environmental Health Officers to discuss your application and arrange for a site inspection. If plans are available these could be submitted however this is not a mandatory requirement.

Download the 'Requirements for New Food Premises' brochure (PDF, 303K)

Food Safety Program

Prior to the premises becoming operative, a Food Safety Plan is required to be submitted.

Templates are available from Information Victoria or templates can be downloaded from the Department of Health - FoodSmart webpage.

Class 1 & 2 Food Premises are required to have a nominated Food Safety Supervisor who has completed an accredited Food Safety Supervisors course.

Registration for Temporary and Mobile Food Businesses

Visit the Streatrader Website to register your temporary or mobile food business.

Application to Register a Food Business/Premises

Prior to commencement of trade, an application to register a food premises must be submitted to council with the appropriate fee.

Download the Application to Register a Food Business (PDF, 325K)

See below for further information and application forms:

Health and Wellbeing

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009, Council is responsible for a number of activities, including:

  • Inspecting Hair Salons and Skin Penetration establishments for appropriate hygiene procedures.
  • Investigating infectious disease referrals from the Department of Health.

For more information visit Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Swimming Pools and Spas

Collection and analysis of water from public pools for compliance under the Health and Wellbeing Act.

Distribution of 'Sharps' containers to Diabetics

'Sharps' containers are provided "free" to residents. Collection and disposal is through Council Service Centres.

Rooming Houses

Rooming Houses must be registered with the Environmental Health Unit of the council.
A rooming house is defined as a building where one or more rooms are available for occupancy on payment of rent where the total number of people is four (4) or more.

Colonic Irrigation

Premises conducting Colonic Irrigation must also be registered

Prescribed Accommodation

On January 1, 2009 the new Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 came into operation and replaced the previous Health Act 1958.

Under the new Act "Prescribed Accommodation" has been expanded to included ".... accommodation provided in the course of a person's employment".

Providing accommodation for more than six (6) employees must be registered with councils' health unit. Before registration is granted the premises must comply with Public Health and Building regulations.

If you have any enquires regarding the above please contact the Environmental Health Department on (03) 5734 6200.

Download the Application to Register a Health Premises (PDF, 307K)

Download the Application to Transfer a Health Premises (PDF, 318K)

Download the Application to Register Prescribed Accommodation (PDF, 308K)

Personal Care and Body Art Industries

  • Beauty therapy procedures
  • Body art-tattooing and piercing
  • Hairdressing
  • Colonic irrigation
  • Physical therapies (massage, solaria, saunas, flotation tanks, spas and pools, gymnasium equipment and alternative therapies) 

The Department of Health, Victoria has developed these guidelines to help businesses comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 by providing information on infection control. The guidelines are designed around a risk management approach:

  • Infection control, legislative requirements, occupational health and safety issues, and how to clean, disinfect and sterilise instruments and equipment
  • Industry specific information
  • General information on risk analysis and management, to assist proprietors and operators to develop policies and procedures to improve infection control and prevention practices.

Health information sheets for clients

The Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 require proprietors of businesses undertaking skin penetration procedures (including tattooing and body piercing) to provide clients with information about the risks of infectious diseases before undertaking a procedure. The Department of Health has prepared health information sheets that proprietors can use.

There are also information sheets for other procedures that may present an infection risk. The Guideline can be downloaded in part or completely from the Department of Health Victoria's website.

Download the Registration/Renewal of Health Premises Registration - Hairdressing Salon, Beauty Therapy, Colonic Irrigation and Tattooing (PDF, 307K)


Under the Tobacco Act 1987 and Tobacco Amendment (Protection of Children) Act 2009, Council is responsible for:

  • Inspection of premises selling Tobacco products for compliance with relevant laws, including test purchases.

For more information visit Tobacco Legislation and regulations - Department of Health website.

Changes to the Tobacco Act

The campaign is titled 'CHILDREN AT PLAY.  PLEASE DON’T SMOKE HERE!'

From 1 April 2014, smoking is banned outdoors within 10 metres of:

  • Playgrounds and skate parks
  • Sporting venues during under 18’s events

Under the Tobacco Act 1987 smoking is now unlawful within these areas and could result in an infringement penalty of $144.

Community attitudes towards smoking have changed. We don’t want to see children connecting healthy recreation with the habit of smoking

Let’s keep the places where children play clean and clear of cigarette butt litter.

For more information on the state-wide smoking ban where children play, you can visit the VicHealth Website or

Contact the Department of Health at tobacco.policy@health.vic.gov.au.

Smoking banned at all outdoor dining areas across Victoria

Smoking will be banned at all outdoor dining areas across Victoria from 1 August 2017.

The Victorian Government initiative, which will be enforced by local Councils, applies to restaurants, cafes, take-away shops and licensed premises, including courtyard dining areas and footpath dining.

The ban also applies to food fairs and within 10 metres of a food stall or vendor at an organised outdoor event, including community and street festivals.

As part of the reform, smoking will also be banned at outdoor drinking areas if any part of that area is within 4 metres of an outdoor dining area, unless separated by a wall of at least 2.1 metres high.

Businesses that don’t comply with the new reforms face on-the-spot fines for the business owner and for any person smoking in the restricted area.

To find out more visit the tobacco reforms website or call the Tobacco Information Line on 1300 136 775.

Domestic Wastewater Management (Septic Tanks)

Under the Environment Protection Act 1970, Council has the responsibility to inspect and approve permits for the installation or alteration of septic tank systems under Part IXB of the Act.

The Council requires for all property owner to apply for a permit for an onsite wastewater system that treats effluent within the property’s boundary to be installed in areas where reticulated sewer is not available. 

Domestic wastewater system installation - Important Information

Planning and Building Permits:

System Type:

  • Onsite wastewater systems need to have a certificate of approval to show they meet the requirements set by the EPA. Details of EPA approved systems can be found on the EPA Website.

Land Capability Assessment (LCA):

  • A land capability assessment is required for all applications that fall within a Declared Special Water Supply Catchment area. For all other areas Environmental Health Officers will investigate the site to determine whether the site is appropriate for wastewater disposal. The Environmental Health Officer may further request a land capability assessment if they require more detailed information on the sites suitability.


  • Onsite wastewater systems are required to be installed, serviced and maintained by a licensed contractor.
  • Normal contract conditions between the owner and/or Builder and/or Plumber apply in respect of liability.

Approval Permits for Your Domestic Wastewater System:

  • No installation or alteration works are to commence prior to receiving a permit to install certificate.
  • Your permit to install is valid for two years from the date of issue however you can apply for an additional 12 month extension at least 28 days prior to your permit expiry. If your permit has lapsed you will be required to lodge a new Application to Install/Alter a Domestic Wastewater System form and any associated costs.
  • It is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1970 to use a wastewater system proposed for installation prior to the permit to use being issued.  Council may issue an infringement notice if a wastewater system is in use prior to issuing a permit to use.
  • Under the Building Act and Building Regulations, your occupancy permit will not be issued until a copy of the permit to use is obtained.

Permits and Plans:

One copy of the under mentioned plans and specifications are to be enclosed with your application and include:

  • A scale no less than 1:500 / 1:200
  • The position of north
  • The fall of the land

A Building Plan:

The building plan must accurately identify all bedrooms, studies, plumbing fixtures, and wastewater and storm water drainage points.

A Block Plan:

The Block plan must accurately identify the location of:

  • The proposed building, shed(s), pools, driveway, stormwater drainage lines, underground power;
  • The proposed wastewater system and irrigation area;
  • Any natural watercourses, dams, vegetation, trees.

A Locality Plan:

The Locality plan must accurately identify the location of:

  • The premises including the street number or lot number.
  • The dimensions of all boundaries including all streets and laneways which abut the property (show names if applicable).
  • The proposed building, shed(s), swimming pools, driveway, water tanks, drainage lines, underground power
  • The proposed wastewater system and irrigation area; and
  • Any natural watercourses, dams, vegetation, trees including those that abut the property.

Progress of Your Application:

  • To check the progress of your application to install a septic tank please phone Council’s Environmental Health Department on 03 5734 6200.
  • Please allow up to 10 working days for the processing of your application.

Information and application forms:

Residential Tenancies

Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA) contains provisions relating to residential tenancies, rooming houses and caravan parks. For more information visit VCAT - Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal website.

Inspections of Caravan parks and campsites are carried out in order to maintain a high standard of amenities and hygiene.