Skip to main content

Livestock Identification

Farm animals are very popular with owners of large properties, whether you have a goat to keep the grass down or pony for your children.

If you are planning to own cows, sheep, pigs, goats, alpacas, llamas, horses, deer or more than 100 poultry, you need to apply for a Livestock Property Identification Code (PIC).

Livestock Property Identification Codes — PICs

PICs are free and are important in the event of a serious livestock disease outbreak. They help trace animals to detect where an outbreak may have started and to help control and eradicate disease. PICs are also linked to systems such as the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS). Commercial operators will need a PIC to sell and move animals.

To find out more about PICs go to Agriculture Victoria: Property Identification Codes

To apply for or change a PIC go to Agriculture Victoria: Application for Property Identification Code

Extra Animals – Limits and Permits

There are limits on how many animals you are permitted to keep on your property, as well as conditions you must meet.

View our Keeping Extra Animals - Information flyer below. Also see Keeping animals.

This page was last updated on 4 May 2021.

Mitchell 2050 Community Vision: Themes Presentation

We're unveiling the themes for our Mitchell 2050 Community Vision. Register to attend a Presentation Night to find out how your input helped shape these themes, and help choose a new Vision Statement to take us to 2050. Bookings essential.