Skip to main content

Keeping animals

In Mitchell you can have 2 dogs and 2 cats in a semi-rural or residential area. In rural areas, you can have up to 6 dogs and 4 cats.

Please note: if your property is in the Urban Growth Area and is less than 0.4 hectares, it follows the rules for residential properties.

AreaMaximum dogsMaximum catsLivestock numbers
Rural64Not limited by Local Law but Planning Scheme controls may apply.
Semi-rural22Extra Animal Permit required for properties under 0.4 hectare. Planning Scheme controls may apply.
Residential*22Pigs and roosters not permitted. Extra Animal Permit required. Planning Scheme controls may apply.

Apply for extra animals

To have extra animals on your property you must apply for an extra animals permit. Planning scheme controls may also apply.

To apply:

  • complete an additional animal permit form (download below)
  • you must obtain consent from your neighbours to have the additional animals before you submit your application
  • return the form and neighbours consent to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the fee; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and request an invoice be emailed to you to make payment

When we receive your application, we will arrange to inspect your property.

We will review the zoning of your land, the type and number of animals you want to keep and more. If a permit is issued conditions will apply.

When to update your permit

From 10 April 2019, Additional Animal Permits will be lifetime permits.

You must notify Council and seek a new permit if:

  • the number of animals changes
  • the type of animals changes
  • you move to a different property

Bringing livestock on roads

If you own or are in charge of livestock and they go onto a road, you must apply for either a livestock droving permit below or livestock grazing permit.

To apply:

Applying for a permit for electric fencing

If you are in a residential area or urban growth area (for properties under 1 acre or 4000 square metres) you must have a permit for electric fencing. Go to electric fencing permits.

More information


This page was last updated on 1 July 2021.