Skip to main content

Getting help with nuisance animals

You can make a complaint to Council about roaming dogs or livestock, dog attacks, barking dogs or nuisance cats.

Animals owners are responsible for the welfare of pets and livestock, and must ensure their animals don't become a nuisance. Find out more about responsible animal ownership.

Wandering animals

If you are concerned about roaming pets or livestock, we can help. Call us on 03 5734 6200 or email us at

Barking dogs

If you have a barking dog in your neighbourhood approach the owner of the barking dog and ask them to do something about it (if you feel comfortable in doing so). If the dog continues to bark, you can lodge a complaint with Council. When lodging a complaint you will be required to provide your name, address and phone number.

Making a complaint about a barking dog

Before lodging a complaint with Council, you may wish to consider the following options:

  • speaking with your neighbour and attempt to resolve the problem
  • speaking to other neighbours who may also be affected by the barking
  • attempt to resolve the issue through an independent party like the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (LINK)

Our process for taking and dealing with complaints about barking dogs includes:

  1. receive your complaint
  2. confirm the details of the alleged nuisance
  3. visit the property
  4. advise the owner of the complaint
  5. issue a Notice to Comply to the dog owner that leads to court action (if the dog is still barking 2 weeks later)

If you are having issues with barking dogs, either as an owner or a neighbour, please contact our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200.

For a more detailed description of the complaints process, please read the following documents.

Nuisance cats

A cat may be a nuisance if it is trespassing on private property, soiling in gardens or sandpits, spraying on front doors or climbing on cars. Cat traps are available to loan, strict conditions apply. Contact our our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200 for more information.

Read the nuisance cats information sheet below.

Problems with wildlife

Anyone wishing to control wildlife such as kangaroos or possums or must have an authorisation from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP). Find out more at DELWP: wildlife management or phone 136 186.

Foxes and rabbits

In an urban landscape, shooting and poisoning are not options for fox control. It is therefore important to eliminate the things which attract foxes.

Rabbit control is achieved through a combination of control measures. There is no quick fix method — persistence is the key. Find out more about controlling rabbits and foxes at DELWP: rabbit biological control


Council is unable to assist with snake removal. Issues regarding snakes should be directed to DELWP Customer Service line 136 186

Swooping birds

Native birds fall under the jurisdiction of the DELWP. They advise that the swooping season usually lasts for approximately 2 months from September to October each year and recommends people affected follow their tips or map bird locations on DELWP: Swooping birds

Help for wildlife

European wasps and bees

Council cannot remove wasps or bees from private land. To report a nest on Council land, please contact Council on 03 5734 6200.

Other nuisance animals

If the nuisance animal you need assistance with is not listed on this page, you can contact Council to find out more information.

This page was last updated on 15 September 2022.