Dog and cat registration
You must register your dogs and cats that are aged over 3 months of age with your local council. Registration ensures that missing pets can be returned to their owner as soon as possible. Each year pet registration must be renewed by 10 April each year.
Given the current COVID-19 situation, we are offering a four-week extension until Sunday 10 May 2020 for animal registration payments. Please follow the instructions on your registration notice to make payment.
Your dogs and cats must be microchipped before we can accept a new animal registration. Microchipping is available from all local vets.
If you fail to register your dog or cat you can be fined.
How to register your pet
To register your pet:
- fill out the Domestic Animals Registration Form (download below)
- return your completed form along with any supporting documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the fee; or
- return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone
Council’s fees are designed to encourage responsible pet ownership. Significant discounts are available for cats and dogs that are desexed or obedience trained.
From Friday 31 January 2020 Council is accepting animal registrations for the year ending 10 April 2021.
Approved dog obedience training
Obedience certificates are only accepted from the approved dog obedience training organisations listed below. These groups have been certified by the Victorian Government, and some of these groups may operate outside of Victoria. If you have a training certificate from an interstate organisation, you may be able to have your dog tested by one of the approved Victorian groups to obtain the appropriate certificate.
You are entitled to a discounted registration fee if your dog has attended obedience training with a qualified trainer from:
- DOGS Victoria
- Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
- The Gentle Dog Trainers Association
- Four Paws K9 Training.
For more information on criteria to receive a reduced fee see the Registration Discounts FAQ sheet below.
Changing your address
Transfer ownership of a dog or cat
If you have sold or given away a dog or cat that is registered with Council, you will need to inform us of the change of ownership. The new owner is also required to complete the Domestic Animals Registration Form below.
To transfer ownership of a dog or cat:
- complete the Change of Ownership Form (download below)
- complete the Animal Registration Form (new owner)
- return to Mitchell Shire Council
Note: This does not change the microchip details of the animal.
Cancelling a registration
Infringements for domestic animal offence
You may be issued an infringement if:
- you fail to register your dog or cat
- your dog is found wandering at large or not confined to your property
If your dog or cat is not registered and goes missing it may have been been impounded. You need to call the Local Laws Department and enquire if your pet has been impounded. You can also search on Council’s Animals of Mitchell Shire Facebook page.
This page was last updated on 2 April 2020.