Skip to main content

Dog and cat registration

You must register your dogs and cats that are aged over 3 months of age with your local council. Registration ensures that missing pets can be returned to their owner as soon as possible. Each year pet registration must be renewed by 10 April each year.

Your dogs and cats must be microchipped before we can accept a new animal registration. Microchipping is available from all local vets.

If you fail to register your dog or cat you can be fined.

How to register your pet

To register your pet:

Registration fees

Council’s fees are designed to encourage responsible pet ownership. Significant discounts are available for cats and dogs that are desexed or obedience trained.

From Thursday 10 October 2019 pro rata fees apply. Fees are reduced by 50%. This discount does not apply to the $5 registration fee. When submitting your animal registration form after Thursday 10 October 2019, reduce the payment amount listed on the registration form by 50%.

This applies only to registrations for the year expiring 10 April 2020.

Approved dog obedience training

You are entitled to a discounted registration fee if your dog has attended obedience training with a qualified trainer from:

  • DOGS Victoria
  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association
  • Four Paws K9 Training.

For more information on criteria to receive a reduced fee see the Registration Discounts FAQ sheet below.

Changing your address

Please let us know if you have moved to another address so that our records are current for your pets. This will help us to return them home if they are found wandering.

Update your contact details online or complete a form in person at any of our Library and Customer Service Centres.

Transfer ownership of a dog or cat

If you have sold or given away a dog or cat that is registered with Council, you will need to inform us of the change of ownership. The new owner is also required to complete the Domestic Animals Registration Form below.

To transfer ownership of a dog or cat:

Note: This does not change the microchip details of the animal.

Infringements for domestic animal offence

You may be issued an infringement if:

  • you fail to register your dog or cat
  • your dog is found wandering at large or not confined to your property

If your dog or cat is not registered and goes missing it may have been been impounded. You need to call the Local Laws Department and enquire if your pet has been impounded. You can also search on Council’s Animals of Mitchell Shire Facebook page.

Related pages

This page was last updated on 14 October 2019.