Skip to main content

Safer Together Green Waste Chipping Form

Mitchell Shire Council has received a minor grant under the state government’s Safer Together Local Government Fuel Management program. The grant has allowed Council to facilitate cleaning up of green waste on a small number of properties in the localities of Reedy Creek, Clonbinane and Wandong-Heathcote.

If your property falls within one of the localities, and you meet the eligibility criteria, we welcome you to submit an application to participate in the initiative. You can do this via the application form below.

For more information, visit the FAQs.

Green waste chipping application form


Why is this being offered to only a small number of properties?

Mitchell Shire Council has received a minor grant under the state government’s Safer Together Local Government Fuel Management program.

The Reedy Creek, Clonbinane and Wandong-Heathcote Junction areas have been targeted as part of this initiative.

While Council acknowledges the majority of occupier’s endeavour to self-manage hazard reduction on their properties, this initiative recognises that there may have been some barriers to annual fire preparations this year due to COVID-19.

How will my application be assessed?

Eligibility criteria has been developed to help the most vulnerable community members to access this service.

Please note, eligibility alone doesn’t guarantee approval – the project is limited and demand is likely to exceed availability. It is therefore important to lodge your application as soon as possible and they will be assessed on a first in, best dressed basis.

Who will conduct works?

Mitchell Shire Council will appoint a suitable contractor to conduct the works.

It is not possible for applicants to source their own contractor and be reimbursed.

When and how will I find out if my application has been successful?

You will be contacted via mail/phone to be advised of the time period the contactor will be working in your area. Arrangements will be made to schedule the work.

If you have been unsuccessful you will be notified via email/mail.

Note, scheduled times will be within an allocated window rather than a specific appointment time.

What should I expect from the contractor?

In order to undertake any works for Council, the contractor is required to comply with a robust set of occupational health and safety standards and must carry appropriate insurances.

In addition, the contractor will complete Council’s induction program prior to commencement and Council will carry-out a number of inspections to ensure contractor compliance throughout the program.

Do the works guarantee my safety during a fire event?

No, that’s why it is important to have an emergency plan.

Am I liable for insurance while the contractor is onsite?

As a property owner/occupier you are encouraged to refer to your existing insurances in terms of standard property owner/occupier insurance coverages. Please note evidence of insurance may be requested as part of the application and assessment.

As Council will be engaging the contractor, Council’s liability is confined to these works only and does not extend any further. For example, should there be a fire in the future which results in the property and its structures being impacted.

Do I need to be at home when the contractor attends?


Once your application is approved, you will be contacted to discuss availability within an allocated time block.

Council and the contractor will endeavour to keep you well informed of scheduling in both the lead up and on the day.

While the contractor is onsite you are encouraged to exercise common sense in terms of social distancing and safety precautions around the machinery, especially ensuring children are well supervised and remain away from the work area. Please also ensure dogs and any other animals are securely contained so as not to impede contractor access or works.

What is considered Green Waste?

Green waste includes grass, hedge and shrub cuttings, leaves, plants and flowers, sticks and branches.

Please note NO noxious weeds can be chipped or removed from site. To find out more head to

Please also ensure that there is no metal, nails or other objects mixed amongst your green waste.

Approved applicants will receive some further detailed information before the contractor attends to ensure that materials bundled for chipping are suitable and do not contain noxious weeds.

How much green waste can I put out?
  • Up to 2 cubic metres per property/application
  • Pruning’s and tree branches up to 7.5cm in diameter and 1.5m in length
  • Single tree limbs up to 200mm in diameter.

Please note, the contractor’s availability is limited to approximately one hour per property. It is not possible for them to do additional works onsite and material needs to be separated before they arrive.

Where should I place my bundled green waste?

Put the waste in an accessible area for the contractor at the front of the property and stack it in a neat, safe pile.

When should I put out my bundled green waste?

It is best if you can bundle your items for mulching a few days before your scheduled appointment.

Is mulch a fire hazard?

When placed in accordance with CFA guidelines, garden mulch presents a much-reduced fire hazard compared to fallen /stored green waste.

Avoid placing mulch within 10 metres from vulnerable parts of property buildings, further information can be found at

How do I apply

Apply online via:

If you’re unable to access the online form and you would like some assistance to complete an application please contact Sally Macdonald, Safer Together Project Officer on 5734 6318 or 0408 242 445.

What should I do to prepare my property?

To prepare your property for an emergency head to and also

Is there any other support available to assist?

2020 has been an exceptionally difficult year for many in the community. Council is currently administering the Community Activation and Social Isolation (CASI) initiative to help connect community members with local social, practical and emotional support and services.

CASI is funded by the Victorian Government with support from a range of local service providers.

If you need help connecting to local support services, or know someone who does, please give our CASI team a call on (03) 5734 6200. We are here to link you up with the help and support you need — safely and locally.

You can also access CASI through selecting ‘option 3’ when calling the COVID hotline 1800 675 398 or via email

This page was last updated on 31 December 2020.