Skip to main content
Points of Interest

WWI Memorial Park

Attraction & Military heritage
Seymour District Memorial Hospital precinct, Corner of Callen and Brettoneux Streets, Seymour VIC 3660 (See map)
(03) 5799 1390

This park pays tribute to the local men and women who served in World War I.

Remembering the service of 50 local men and women

Pass through the park’s Memorial Gates and you will see "Bluey", the statue of a World War One soldier, who stands atop a star-shaped memorial holding 10 glass panels. These panels detail the WWI service of 50 of our district men and women through photos and other images, as well as the history of the Seymour Hospital and Seymour RSL. Some stories are sad, others are uplifting and all make captivating and emotive reading.

Flags and roses

The Gallipoli, Peace and RSL roses line the paths and the Australian and New Zealand flags proudly fly in honour of the ANZACS.

Lone Pine tree

Also on the site is a young Lone Pine tree, alongside which is a bronze plaque telling an evocative and moving story that we encourage visitors to read.

History of the park

In November 1927, Memorial Gates were unveiled at the entrance to the then Seymour Soldiers Memorial Hospital. The Gates were built by returned soldiers at a cost of £412 and listed many of those from the district who served in WWI. The gates were moved in 1959 to the entrance of the new hospital, and then again in 1996 to their current location but over the years the Gates became badly degraded. In 2004 the RSL refurbished the names on the granite pillars, in 2012 the Gates were refurbished and in 2013 the lights were replicated and fitted in time for the Anzac Day dawn service.

Planning began later that year to upgrade the area surrounding the Gates and on Remembrance Day of 2016, the WWI Memorial Park that you see today was unveiled.

More information


This page was last updated on 30 May 2022.