VicSmart planning applications
VicSmart is a simple and fast assessment process for straightforward planning permit applications. The application process takes 10 business days, applications are not advertised, and all information required is submitted with the original application.
Applications that are eligible for VicSmart
Applications must meet all the VicSmart requirements of the relevant zone, overlay and/or particular provision. VicSmart requirements can be found in clauses 59 thru 59.16 of the Mitchell Planning Scheme. This document is available to download from Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning: VicSmart website.
The following application types can be assessed as a VicSmart application:
- Subdivide land to realign the common boundary between 2 lots
- Subdivide land into lots each containing an existing building or car parking space
- Subdivide land with an approved development into 2 lots
- Construct or extend a front fence within 3 metres of a street
- Construct a building or construct or carry out works
- Construct a fence in an overlay
- Remove, destroy or lop 1 tree
- Minor subdivision, minor building and works, painting or tree lopping in a Heritage Overlay
- Display a sign
- Reduce the required number of car parking spaces
- Reduce or waive the loading and unloading requirements
Apply for a Permit
To apply for a planning permit using VicSmart:
- download a VicSmart Application form (PDF 353.9KB)
- complete the relevant VicSmart checklist to ensure you submit all the required information. If your proposal falls into more than one VicSmart class of application you will need to complete all the relevant checklists
- return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the fee; or
- return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone
VicSmart Checklist – by Type of Work
- Checklist 1 Realign A Boundary Between Two Lots PDF (60 KB)
- Checklist 2 Subdivision PDF (61 KB)
- Checklist 3 Front Fence In A Residential Zone PDF (57 KB)
- Checklist 4 Buildings And Works PDF (61 KB)
- Checklist 5 Construct A Fence In An Overlay PDF (56 KB)
- Checklist 6 Destroy Lop Remove A Tree PDF (58 KB)
- Checklist 7 Heritage Overlay PDF (63 KB)
- Checklist 9 Advertising Signs PDF (58 KB)
- Checklist 10 Car Parking Reduction PDF (58 KB)
- Checklist 11 Loading Requirements PDF (56 KB)
Note: Checklist 08 — Minor subdivision or building and works within a Special Building Overlay is not applicable, as this Overlay is not contained within the Mitchell Planning Scheme.
- Wallan Planning and Building Services OfficePlanning and Building Services4A & 4B 61 High Street, Wallan03 5734 6200Our upstairs offices can be found above the Salvation Army and San Marco Italian Restaurant. Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19. Appointments are available at other locations.
This page was last updated on 15 February 2021.