Processing your application
We assess your application against the policies and guidelines in the Mitchell Planning Scheme and make a recommendation whether or not to issue a planning permit.
Notification and Advertising of Applications
Many different types of applications require notification, or advertising to owners or occupiers of adjoining land. For larger applications, advertising may be required to the broader community.
You will be notified throughout the planning process if your application requires advertising and to what extent.
Timeline for Processing a Planning Permit Application
Time taken to decide on an application depends on the size and detail of the proposal.
We are required to make a decision within 60 days of receiving your application. If we require further information, the 60 days starts from the date we receive that information and any advertising requirements are met.
Each application is different and it is a good idea to contact a planner to discuss how long the process is likely to take for your proposal.
Most applications will go through these 6 steps:
- Check application for all relevant information, identify if anything is missing: up to 4 weeks
- Request any further information from applicant and wait for the applicant to respond: 4-5+ weeks
- Send application to external referral authorities for assessment and wait for them to respond: 4 weeks
- Advertise the application for 2 weeks (public notification period) to get community feedback: 2-3 weeks
- Receive objections and consult with different parties: 2-3 weeks
- Assess the application against planning requirements, prepare a report with a recommendation and wait for a decision. 2-6 weeks
- Wallan Planning and Building Services OfficePlanning and Building Services4A & 4B 61 High Street, Wallan03 5734 6200Our upstairs offices can be found above the Salvation Army and San Marco Italian Restaurant. Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19. Appointments are available at other locations.
This page was last updated on 15 February 2021.