Skip to main content
Heat Health Alert
The Victorian Chief Health Officer has issued a Heat Health Alert for Tuesday 25 January and Wednesday 26 January.
Find out more
Planning services

Object to a planning application

Have your say

If you’re concerned that you may be affected by a planning application, or want to show your support, you can have your say about what is proposed by lodging a submission.

Submissions can be made at any stage of the application process up until a decision is made by Council.

Please remember that some applications are exempt from notice and decision requirements.

Council will not make a decision on the application until after the date specified in the notice.

View current applications on notice.

After a submission is made

Depending on the number of submissions made, an application will be decided on by a planning officer or at a Council Meeting.

If the application is taken to a Council Meeting, you will have the opportunity to present to Council at a Question and Hearings Committee.

If you are not happy with the decision made by Council about the planning application, you may have the right to appeal a decision through VCAT.

Lodge a submission for a current planning application

If you wish to make a submission about a current application, complete the online form below.

Submissions can include matters of objection and matters of support.

What application do you object to?

1. This form is to help you make an objection to an application in a way which complies with the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Act), and which can be readily understood by the Responsible Authority. There is no requirement under the Act that you use any particular form.

2. Make sure you clearly understand what is proposed before you make an objection. You should inspect the application at the Responsible Authority’s office.

3. To make an objection you should clearly complete the details on this form and lodge it with the Responsible Authority as shown on the Public Notice.

4. An objection must: a) State the reasons for your objection, and b) State how you would be affected if a permit/amended permit is granted.

5. The Responsible Authority may reject an objection which it considers has been made primarily to secure or maintain a direct or indirect commercial advantage for the objector. In this case, the Act applies as if the objection had not been made.

6. Any person may inspect an objection during office hours.

7. If your objection related to an effect on property other than at your address as shown on this form, give details of that property and of your interest in it.

8. To ensure the Responsible Authority considers your objection, make sure that the Authority received it by the date shown in the notice you were sent, or which you saw in a newspaper, or on the site.

9. If you object before the Responsible Authority makes a decision, the Authority will tell you its decision.

10. If despite your objection the Responsible Authority decided to grant the permit/amended permit, you can appeal against the decision. Details of the appeal procedures are attached to the Notice of Decision which you will receive. An appeal must be made on a prescribed form (obtainable from the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) and be accompanied by the prescribed fee. A copy must be given to the Responsible Authority. The closing date for appeals is 21 days of the Responsible Authority giving notice of its decision.

11. If the Responsible Authority refuses the application, the applicant can also appeal. The provisions are set out on the Notice of Refusal to Grant a Permit which will be issued at that time.

12. Copies of objections/submissions lodged with the Responsible Authority will be made available to the public and copies may be made to interested parties for the sole purpose of enabling consideration and review as part of a planning process under the Act.

13. Should you choose to lodge a petition, please note that all correspondence will be sent to the first person listed on the petition who is considered the “head petitioner”. As the head petitioner, you should see to it that other persons listed on the petition are kept informed of any relevant correspondence from Council.


The collection and handling of personal information is conducted in accordance with Council's Privacy Policy which is displayed on Council's website and available for inspection at, or collection from, Council's Customer and Library Service Centres. Please refer to the Privacy Policy for further information about your rights and Council's obligations.

Contact Us


This page was last updated on 16 April 2021.