Do I need a planning permit?
If you want to make changes to the way that your land is used, or if you want to develop the land, construct any buildings, or subdivide, you may need a planning permit.
Examples of where you might need a planning permit include:
- extending or building your house
- developing commercial or industrial buildings
- changing the way an existing building is used
- subdividing land
- removing vegetation
- performing earthworks or excavation
- running a business from home
- installing advertising signage
- getting a liquor license.
There are some factors that might affect whether you need a planning permit. These include:
- where the property is located (see information on zones and overlays below)
- the size of the property
- how the property will be used
- the type of works you want to do.
Before you proceed with the planning permit application process, we recommend that you contact our Statutory Planning Department on (03) 5734 6200 or at email@example.com to let them know of your proposal.
You can also schedule a pre-application meeting with one of our planners. This will provide you with information and advice about your proposal. Visit apply for a planning permit for more information.
Do I need a building permit as well?
It is important not to confuse planning permits with building permits. Building permits are generally required for the construction or alteration of buildings. They also help monitor building structure safety and amenity. If you are completing any building or construction works on your property, you may need a building permit in addition to a planning permit. For more information, visit do I need a building permit, or learn the difference between planning and building.
Zones and overlays
Each individual property will have planning zones and overlays that control when a planning permit is needed.
To find out what controls apply to your property, you can:
- Obtain a free planning property report on the VicPlan website.
- Search for your zone or overlay in the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning’s Mitchell Planning Scheme.
- Call our Statutory Planning Team on 03 5734 6200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your property and the proposed use or development.
Permit application guides
Use the checklists as a guide to help you make sure you have everything prepared for a planning application.
- Advertising Signs Checklist PDF (193 KB)
- Animal Breeding and Keeping Checklist PDF (189 KB)
- Change of use Checklist PDF (193 KB)
- Commercial Development Checklist PDF (199 KB)
- Creation or alteration of Access Category 1 Road Checklist PDF (198 KB)
- Dependent Persons Unit Checklist PDF (196 KB)
- Existing Use Rights Checklist PDF (197 KB)
- Industrial Development Checklist PDF (200 KB)
- Licensed Premises Checklist PDF (216 KB)
- Multi Dwelling Development Checklist PDF (200 KB)
- Native Vegetation Removal Checklist PDF (233 KB)
- Outbuildings and Other Structures Checklist PDF (191 KB)
- Reducing or waiving Car Parking Requirements Checklist PDF (168 KB)
- Single Dwellings Checklist PDF (197 KB)
- Subdivision Checklist PDF (197 KB)
This page was last updated on 29 April 2021.