PLP268/19 - 175 Northern Highway Wallan
This is an application for a quarry (stone extraction) and creation of access to a Road Zone Category 1 (Northern Highway).
The details of the proposal are, that the quarry will:
- extract approximately 17 million tones of basalt
- have a lifespan of approximately 30 years
- be undertaken in 4 phases
- operate as detailed below:
- sales: Monday to Friday- 6am to 5pm, and Saturday- 7am to 12noon
- extraction: Monday to Friday- 6am to 6pm, and Saturday- 6am to 12noon
- processing plant: Monday to Friday- 7am to 4pm, and Saturday- 7am to 11am
- blasting: Monday to Friday- 12noon to 5pm
The overall operation will be staffed by a maximum of 19 staff and contractors in the first 10 years, extending to 25 FTE up to the 17th year and 27 FTE employees thereafter.
Building and works
The facilities will include internal roads, car parking, emergency assembly areas, site offices, CFA water access points, central offices, amenities, plant maintenance and crushing & processing plant.
Landscaping, screening and rehabilitation
Vegetated screens are proposed to be located on all boundaries of the quarry. It is proposed the quarry will be rehabilitated with plantations, batters and engineered fill once the extraction is complete.
Documents included with the application
- Application plans and planning report
- Extractive Industries Work Authority 1473:
- statutorily endorsed work plan, including Notice of Statutory Endorsement
- draft work plan
- Aboriginal Cultural Heritage advice
- Environment noise assessment
- Dust impact assessment
- Background resource and land capability
- Geological Survey of Victoria Report 91
- Geological Survey of Victoria Technical Record 2003/2
- Delivering Melbourne's Newest Sustainable Communities- Background technical report
The advertising package includes the below documents:
- notice, application and title
Have your say
Community members can have their say by making a submission at any time during the application process directly to Mitchell Shire Council.
Submissions are encouraged to be lodged via the submissions form page.
Alternatively, you can email or post a letter with the following details:
- your name, address and email and/or phone number
- the reference number PLP268/19
- a description of your acceptance/feedback or objection of this application.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or post to:
Mitchell Shire Council Statutory Planning
113 High Street
BROADFORD VIC 3658.
If you have any queries regarding the above or should you wish to arrange a time to meet with Council officers, please contact our Statutory Planning Department on 03 5734 6200 and choose option 3, or visit us at:
Wallan Planning and Building Services Office
4A & 4B, 61 High Street
WALLAN VIC 3756
Our upstairs offices can be found above the Salvation Army and San Marco Italian Restaurant.
This page was last updated on 30 October 2020.