Skip to main content
Building services

Shipping containers and electric fences

Temporary shipping containers

Placing a shipping container on private land

In most situations, you will need a permit to place a shipping container on your land.

If the shipping container will be in place for over 6 months, we recommend giving our Planning Department a call on 03 5734 6200 to discuss your situation.

Placing a shipping container on public land

If you are planning to place a shipping container on Council land, you need to apply for a permit.

Electric fences

You will need to apply for a permit if you are planning to put up an electric fence on residential land, or on land less than 0.4 hectares in the urban growth area.

Note: Applications for permits to install electric fences on or adjoining Council land will not be approved.

Apply for a permit

To apply:

  • complete a General Permit Application 2020 (download below)
  • supply proof of your public liability insurance for $10 million covering Council
  • supply a plan of the proposed location of the container or electric fence
  • return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centre and pay the relevant fee; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and request an invoice be emailed to you to make payment.


More information

This page was last updated on 15 February 2021.