Skip to main content
Building services

Shipping containers and electric fences

Temporary shipping containers

Placing a shipping container on private land

In most situations, you will need a permit to place a shipping container on your land.

If the shipping container will be in place for over 6 months, we recommend giving our Building Department a call on 03 5734 6200 to discuss your situation.

Placing a shipping container on public land

If you are planning to place a shipping container on Council land, you need to apply for a general land permit. It is unlikely that a shipping container will be approved to be placed on a residential road.

Electric fences

You will need to apply for a general land permit if you are planning to put up an electric fence on residential land, or on land less than 0.4 hectares in the urban growth area.

Please note, applications for permits to install electric fences on or adjoining Council land will not be approved.

Apply for a general land permit

Step 1

Prepare the following supporting documentation:

  • proof of your public liability insurance for $10 million covering Council
  • a plan of the proposed location of the container or electric fence.

Step 2

Download and complete a General Land Permit Application form.

Step 3

Return all documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres or the Wallan Planning and Building Services Office and pay the relevant fees in person; or email your documents to and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

Applications may take up to 14 days to process.

More information

Contact us

This page was last updated on 1 September 2022.