Skip to main content
Building services

Demolish a building

In certain circumstances, a permit is required to demolish a building or parts of a building. Your building surveyor will advise if you need a permit to demolish.

If you intend to apply through council, you can apply to demolish a building below.

Apply to demolish a building

Step 1

Prepare all of the relevant supporting documentation outlined in the Demolitions Checklist.

Step 2

Determine whether you need to apply for report and consent.

Report and consent

You will need to apply for the report and consent of Council if the demolition works:

  • exceed more than 50% of the existing building
  • include any part of the building that is visible from the street.

This is a separate application that will need to be completed before your permit to demolish can be processed.

Step 3

Download and complete the Demolition Application Form.

Step 4

Return your form to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres or the Wallan Planning and Building Services Office and pay the relevant fees in person; or email your documents to and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

Permits can take up to 14 days to process.

This page was last updated on 22 April 2021.