Skip to main content
Building services

Building a fence

If you are planning to build or repair a boundary fence on your property, you need to talk to your neighbours before work begins.

You can ask us to supply you with details of the owners adjoining properties for the purpose of fencing.

To make a request:

Fencing law in Victoria

Visit Department of Justice and Regulation: Fencing law in Victoria website for information relating to:

  • your responsibilities
  • sending a fencing notice to the owner of the adjoining property
  • who pays for the fence
  • what type of fence

Other Resources

Contact us

For enquiries please contact our Property and Rates Department on 03 5734 6200.

This page was last updated on 15 February 2021.