Skip to main content
Building services

Asset protection permits

Asset protection permits are required under the local law on all building sites where the development is valued at or above $5,000. Asset protection permits have strict conditions and the person in charge of building works must obtain one before work begins.

What the permit does

The asset protection permit sets conditions for how building sites are to be maintained. It covers things like temporary fencing, toilet facilities and waste control.

The permit also ensures that Council assets are protected so that if damage is done during construction the builder is responsible to repair it rather than the ratepayers or homeowners.

The asset protection permit allows you to bring goods and materials into the property by crossing council assets.

Builders are required to report pre-existing damage to Council before starting work.

Infringements can be issued for failing to obtain an asset protection permit or for not abiding to the conditions set in the permit.

Apply for a permit

To apply:

  • complete the Asset Protection Permit Application Form (download below)
  • complete a pre-inspection report with notification of any damages identified prior to the commencement of building works (photos or diagrams)
  • supply proof of public liability insurance for $10 million to cover
  • return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the fee; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an invoice will be sent to you with details for how to pay.

Apply for an exemption

If you wish to apply for an exemption, you must meet the following criteria:

  • property boundary does not contain any of the following council assets;
    • curb and channel
    • drainage (including table drain)
    • street trees
    • concrete crossover
    • bitumen road.

You must provide photos showing the boundary and entrance

  • works are of a minor nature
  • deliveries will be by vehicles no larger than small rigid vehicle (SRV*)
  • a pre-inspection report must be completed and attached to your application
  • exemption will not usually be issued for dwellings, in ground swimming pools or demolition

* refer to application form for more details.

To apply:

Contact us

For enquiries relating to asset protection permits, contact our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200.

This page was last updated on 15 February 2021.