Apply for a building permit
We issue domestic and commercial building permits for projects within the Mitchell Shire. Inspections must be booked 24 hours in advance.
You require a building permit for:
- new buildings
- retaining walls
- swimming pools
Ask us about exceptions to these before starting any work.
Please contact the Building Department on 03 5734 6200 to book an inspection. We also offer an inspection service for relocated dwellings.
How to apply for a building permit
- complete the Building Permit Application (download below)
- provide any supporting documents, as listed in the relevant checklist
- provide a copy of plans
- provide a copy of title
- return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres or Wallan Planning and Building Services Office and pay the relevant fees in person; or
- return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone
Building checklists and fact sheets
Read the checklists and fact sheets provided for your type of application:
- Checklist Commercial Industrial Buildings PDF (66 KB)
- Checklist Swimming Pools Spas and Safety Barriers PDF (124 KB)
- Checklist Verandahs Pergolas Patios PDF (126 KB)
- Checklist Dwelling Additions and Alterations1 PDF (128 KB)
- Checklist New Dwellings PDF (126 KB)
- Checklist Relocated Dwellings PDF (125 KB)
- Checklist Restump of Existing Dwellings PDF (122 KB)
- Checklist Shed Garages Carports PDF (139 KB)
- Checklist Deckings PDF (125 KB)
- Checklist Demolitions PDF (74 KB)
These checklists are only a guide — contact our building department to confirm what information is required prior to lodging your application.
You must submit this information for our approval before starting any work.
This page was last updated on 17 July 2019.