Trawool is located 100km from Melbourne on the Goulburn Valley Highway. The district is dominated by agriculture, dairying and magic scenery.
First explored by Hume and Hovell in 1824, Trawool was later settled as a large sheep station. Development of the area improved with the building of the Trawool railway line to Yea in 1883. The site was originally named ‘Traawool’, the indigenous word for ‘wild water’.
Ever since the early 1900s it has been a destination for holiday makers from Melbourne enjoying its country charm and magnificent scenery.
National Trust Classified
In 1983, the National Trust awarded the area a Scenic Classification, recognising its importance as a scenic, geological and cultural site, including its diverse range of flora and fauna.
Bushwalking, sight-seeing, hang-gliding and rafting are all popular outdoor activities.