The towns of Mitchell Shire are rich in history. During the Gold Rush years, Kilmore was a major stop over for those coming from the ports and town of Melbourne to the gold fields. In its busiest times it was home to over 26 public drinking and boarding houses, numerous churches, schools and a large hospital. Other towns in the Shire were also frequent stop overs offering many boarding and drinking houses and other services such as black smiths, butchers and banks.
Take yourself back in time and view the rustic timber cottages, old country pubs, century old bluestone buildings and infrastructure; as well as historic farms, homesteads, machinery and shedding that dot the country side.
Former Family Residence of Ned Kelly
Kelly Street, Beveridge
Beveridge is home to the Ned Kelly House, the birthplace of the infamous bushranger and where he spent his early childhood years. The house still remains today with a wire fence surrounding it. Ned Kelly attended the Beveridge Catholic School with his 2 sisters, Annie and Maggie.
Old Kilmore Gaol
Sutherland Street, Kilmore
Telephone: 03 5782 1108
The Old Kilmore Gaol was a maximum security prison in Victoria used from 1859 until 1891 when it was decommissioned and used as a butter factory. The gaol saw many escapes and uprisings over its 32-year period of use. Contrary to popular belief, Ned Kelly was never actually a prisoner here. Today, the gaol is used as an Auction House for antique goods and although it still has maintained its original bluestone walls and intimidating appearance, the interior of the jail was renovated during the time it served as a butter factory.
Guided tours are available of the Old Kilmore Gaol.
Powlett Street, Kilmore
Designed by J J Clark, the Kilmore Courthouse was constructed in 1863. The building is often described as an example of Victorian Romanesque style architecture. Bringing law and order to the oldest inland town, the courthouse was instrumental in the development of the Kilmore Township. In about 1850 police court settings began and 4 years later county court and general sessions commenced. Due to the early construction date and the part it played in the early government precinct of the township, the Kilmore Courthouse will remain a historical contributor to the strong beginnings of the region.
Kilmore Town Hall
16 Sydney Street, Kilmore
The former town hall was built in 1894 and features a decorative facade with enormous Corinthian pillars.
110 High Street, Broadford
Telephone: 03 5784 1970
The Broadford and District Historical Society has acquired many buildings and artefacts which are available for viewing by the public. The museum is home to the historic Broadford Courier building. The first publication was printed in 1891 and gave Broadford and District readers, accounts of the social life of the area. The items housed within the former Broadford Courier office give visitors an insight in to the life and times of historical Broadford. The most significant possession of the museum is the hand set hand operated printing press which remained in operation until its final printing days in 1978.
Our collection is available to view with assistance from our volunteers. We encourage school tour groups, and we are open to the public every Wednesday between 10.30 am and 3.00 pm (excluding Christmas school holidays). We are happy to open at other times by arrangement – send an email or call us!
Crawford Street, Seymour
Home to a memorial of Seymour pioneers, in a serene formal garden setting.
Old Goulburn River Bridge
Old Hume Highway, Seymour
The Victorian heritage listed composite trestle and metal road bridge is predominantly intact. Construction of the bridge began 1862 and the bridge was fortunately reconstructed in 1892, prior to the economic depression in 1893, which resulted in the withdrawal of State funding for big river bridges.
In 1987 the bridge was closed to vehicular traffic and due to partial damage sustained the bridge is now closed to all traffic. The large river red gums surrounding the fast flowing Goulburn River, add to the charm of the bridge and combined with its historical significance, make this picturesque spot, well worth a visit.
Seymour Old Courthouse and Log Jail
Corner Emily and High Streets, Seymour
Open: 7 days, 9am to 5pm
Seymour’s original Courthouse. The courtroom has the original Judge's podium, juror’s gallery and prisoner's dais. The Log Jail is located at the rear of the building.
Seymour Heritage Drive
Various locations throughout Seymour
On the self guided tour of Seymour and surrounding areas, you can view 41 historical buildings, sites and parks, dating back to 1839. The drive commences at the Goulburn River Bridge built in 1892 and encompasses the abundant railway and military history of the region before its end in the stunning Scenic Heritage Listed, Trawool Valley. To obtain a map and overview of the points of interest, visit the Seymour Information Centre at the Old Court House, Seymour.
Old Trestle Bridge
Over Hanford’s Creek, Pyalong
The Rail Bridge over Hanford's Creek was constructed for the Victorian Railways in 1890 by McDermott & Sons along the Wandong-Bendigo line, near Pyalong. The Rail Bridge over Hanford’s Creek gives visitors an opportunity to view the largely intact timber trestle bridge. It was constructed for the Victorian Railways on the Wandong - Bendigo line in 1890. Prior to the line closing in 1968, it was primarily used to deliver timber shafts to the Bendigo mines. The transportation of wool and sheep was another important use of the old railway line. The distinctive construction method used to build this bridge makes it architecturally significant to Victoria and is visited by train buffs from all over the country.