Taking Care of Business

Resources and support for businesses in Mitchell

Hosting an event in Mitchell

Mitchell Shire Council believes that events are an integral part of the Shire’s tourism industry and vital in continuing to attract visitors to the region. Mitchell Shire Council can help with advice on many relevant aspects in planning your event.

The information and guidelines provided will help you to plan a successful event in Mitchell Shire.

Event Spaces

Parks and Reserves for Hire

Council has a range of parks and reserves available for use by the community. These parks are either managed directly by Council or an appointed Committee of Management. Council’s Recreation Department is responsible for coordinating these bookings and enquiries for these venues.

To book a council run park or reserve, contact the Recreation Department to request a booking form, complete and return to the Recreation Department. A risk management plan will need to be submitted along with the park booking form. Following receipt of the application, the Recreation Department will assess if any fees or charges apply.

For more information please contact the Recreation Department on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Venues and Halls for Hire

Mitchell Shire Council offers a number of venues that are available for ongoing or casual hire. These facilities include spaces that are great for community meetings, stage productions, programs or social functions.

Broadford Hall
8 Murchison Street, Broadford, 3658

The Broadford Hall located on Murchison Street in Broadford is a public hall available for hire. With staging facilities as well as separate kitchen and supper room, the Broadford Hall offers flexibility and can be used for various events, functions or stage productions.

For further information, bookings or enquiries, contact Active Communities on (03) 5734 6200.

Clonbinane Hall
Linton Street, Waterford Park, 3658

The multi-purpose facility is a valuable community asset that will be available for gatherings, meetings and events.

For further information regarding the hall, its hours of operation and for bookings, please contact The Hall Committee of Management on 0409 061 641 or email clonbinanecag@gmail.com

Kilmore Soldiers Memorial Hall
14 Sydney Street, Kilmore, 3764

The Kilmore Soldiers Memorial Hall is located on Sydney Street, next to the Kilmore Library. It has staging facilities, a separate kitchen, supper room and main hall. It can be used for various events, functions or staged productions.

For further information or bookings, contact the committee of management on 5723 9726 or 0407 682 196.

Mail to:
Kilmore Soldiers Memorial Hall Inc.
PO Box 276 Kilmore 3764

Seymour Sports and Aquatics Centre - Chittick Park Community Place
Chittick Park, Pollard St, Seymour, 3660

To learn more about the meeting space, phone the Seymour Sports and Aquatic Centre on (03) 5792 3068 or email: mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Wallan Multipurpose Community Centre
42-80 Bentinck Street
Wallan VIC 3756
(03) 5734 6200

The Multipurpose Centre is home to Wallan Senior Citizen's Club, Wallan U3A and Wallan Neighbourhood House. The Hall, kitchen and meeting rooms are all available for meetings, activities and events.

For further information regarding this facility, please contact the Community Development Department on (03) 5734 6200 or email: mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Wandong Memorial Stadium
Dry Creek Road, Wandong, 3758

The Wandong Memorial Stadium is a multi-purpose sporting facility located in Dry Creek Road, Wandong. The facility has one multi-use court providing for basketball, netball, volleyball and badminton. A functional kitchen is also available.

For further information regarding the hall, its hours of operation and for bookings, please contact Council's Recreation and Open Space Department on (03) 5734 6200 or email recreation@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

What Permits Do I Need?

If holding an event in Mitchell Shire you may require a number of permits.

Planning Permits

Some events and festivals require a planning permit to be obtained, and a planning permit may also be required for advertising signage associated with an event.

The Statutory Planning Department should be contacted to ascertain if a planning permit is required for a specific event.

Statutory Planners are available to provide planning advice at Council’s Wallan office from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, or appointments can be made to speak to a planner at Council’s Broadford or Seymour officers on Thursdays. Alternatively, the Statutory Planning Department can be contacted by telephone on 03 5734 6200 or by email at Mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au.

Road Closure Permits

Permission must be obtained to close any council managed road. You must complete the Application Form (PDF, 1.2MB) and submit it to council with the completed Memorandum of Authorisation (at back of the Application Form), a copy of the individual or groups’ public liability insurance and a traffic management plan.  There is an application fee of $115 which must be paid when the application is submitted.

More information can be found on our Local Laws Road Closure page.

For more information please contact Council on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Festival and Street Party Permits

Festivals or street parties held on Council land require a Permit. Festivals on private land may also require planning permission. Application fees apply, although not for profit community groups can apply to have the fee waived in certain circumstances.

Download the Circuses, Festival and Carnivals Permit Application 2016 (PDF, 158K)

For more information about holding a festival on council land please contact our Community Compliance department on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Places Of Public Entertainment (POPE) 

A Places of Public Entertainment (POPE) permit is required for any event that is arranged by private individuals or companies. Recent amendments to the regulations have exempted the requirement for a POPE permit if the event is arranged by a community organisation and if the area to be used is more than 500sq metres in size or has more than 5000 people attend.

It is advised that the organisers of an event always contact the building department to discuss their proposal. Depending on the outcomes of the POPE permit you may also need to talk to our Local Laws Department in regards to permits for parking and signage.

For more information please contact the Building Department on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Roadside Trading Permits

Roadside trading refers to vendors selling from a vehicle or stall on the side of the road, as opposed to from a shop or office environment and require a Permit Application for Roadside Trading (PDF, 81K).

When submitting an application please ensure that you include a map for placement of these items for your stall, as well as a copy of public liability insurance indemnifying Council in the event of an incident involving your items.

For more information please contact our Community Compliance Department on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

Streatrader is an online system for traders to register and notify temporary and mobile food premises and water transport vehicles in Victoria.

Streatrader is for food businesses and community groups that sell food from a temporary site, such as a stall, van, trailer, community hall,  vending machine or private water carters that transport and sell water for drinking.

A form is completed on the Streatrader Website which is then passed onto Mitchell Shire Council. Class 2 premises will require an inspection prior granting approval, for class 3 and 4 premises approval is normally granted upon examination of their application.

For more information please contact the Environment Health Department on 03 5734 6200 or email mitchell@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Alcohol in a Public Place

A permit is required to consume liquor on any road, footpath or municipal place between the hours of 8pm and 11.59am unless Council has already granted a festival or street party permit that includes the consumption or possession of liquor.

Download the Application to Consume Liquor in a Public Place Permit (PDF, 41K)

For more information about obtaining a permit to consume liquor in a public place please call the Community Compliance Department on (03) 5734 6200


Events held at Council's parks and reserves require a Council approved Waste Management Plan (PDF, 190K). Council is able to provide waste and recycling services to events through Cleanaway. There is a cost for this service and Waste Management Plans need to be submitted two weeks prior to the event.

Council has a limited number of bin caps for events which fit on top of 240 litre bins to clearly distinguish between waste and recycling bins. These are available for use at events.

For more information about event Waste Management Plans, contact Council's Waste Education Officer on 03 5734 6200 or email wastemanagement@mitchellshire.vic.gov.au

Marketing your Event 


A permit may be required to display signage for your event. Mitchell Shire Council manages a range of different types of signage, permits and approvals that you may need before ordering or erecting signage

Advertising signs on private land

Advertising signs may be temporary, mobile or permanent. The approval also considers any structure forming part of the sign and its location on the building/property on which it is to be erected
Responsible Authority: Council 
How to Apply: Contact Council’s Planning unit on (03) 5734 6200 to determine whether a permit is required
Fees: Fees may apply.

A-Frame Signboards

A permit is required to display an advertising signboard on Council property, which includes footpaths and road reserves. Conditions apply as to the location that advertising signboards can be placed. Advertising signboard permits expire on 30th of June each year and need to be renewed on an annual basis.
Responsible Authority: Council
How to Apply: Download the Permit Application for Street Trading (2015) (PDF, 41k) or contact Council’s Community Compliance Department on (03) 5734 6200
Fees: Fees apply.

Tourist Signage

The prime purpose of tourist signing is to give visitors direction or guidance to tourist attractions and accommodation.
Responsible Authority:
Contact Vic Roads for all Vic Roads managed roads.
Contact Mitchell Shire Councils Engineering Services Department for all council managed roads.
How to Apply: Visit the Vic Roads Website to learn more about tourist signage.
Fees: Fees may apply.

Community Notice Boards

Mitchell Shire Council manages ten community notice boards which are located at in Tooborac,  Tallarook,  Pyalong, Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour , Wallan, Wandong and Beveridge.
Responsible Authority: Council
How to Apply: Contact Council’s Community and Recreation Department on (03) 5734 6200
Fees: No Fees Apply

Township Entrance Event Frames

Mitchell Shire Council manages nine tourism event promotion frames which are located at township entrances in Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour, Wallan and Wandong.
Responsible Authority: Council
How to Apply: Download the Township Entrance Event Frames Booking Form (PDF, 130k) or contact the Economic Development Department on (03) 5734 6200
Fees: No Fees Apply 

Calendar of Events

Online Calendar of Events

If you are holding you event in Mitchell Shire, the online calendar of events is an excellent way to promote your event to the local and broader community. The calendar can promote one off, annual and regular events held in Mitchell Shire.

Listing your event in the Mitchell Shire Calendar of Events is free and organisations can list multiple events in the calendar.

To have your event included in the calendar visit the ADTW Online Website and create your listing. Your event will be approved in two business days and added to the Events calendar. If you need help in preparing your listing visit our Event Tips page or give Events Victoria (who manage the site) a call on 1300 306 366.