Skip to main content

Serving or consuming alcohol at events

If you are holding an organised event in a Council park or building and propose serving or consuming alcohol, you need to apply for a permit.

Organised events include:

  • ticketed events
  • events where an area within a park or public space has been portioned off with approval from Council
  • community markets, expos or roadshows etc.
  • music events and other entertainment
  • private gatherings in a Council building

Apply for a permit to serve alcohol at an organised event

  1. download and complete the Permit Application — General Council Land (download below)
  2. return the form to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the relevant fees in person, or email your documents to and an officer will call you to take payment over the phone.

This clause does not apply to events or festivals where a license has been obtained under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 for the consumption or possession of alcohol. You can call our Local Laws Department on 03 5734 6200 to discuss your situation.

This page was last updated on 1 September 2022.