Skip to main content

Permits for festivals and carnivals on Council land

Some events on Council land require permits. You should submit your application for a Festival or Carnival permit as early as you can — at least 30 days prior to the event.

Preparing your Application

In your application for a festival or carnival permit you will be asked to supply information about many different aspects of your event. Different departments within Council will assess your application.

Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)

Events not organised by community groups, where a fee is charged for entry or that are fenced in or contained in a building, are likely to need a POPE permit. For example, a Circus requires a POPE permit. To check if you require a POPE please call our Building Department on 03 5734 6200.

Serving Alcohol at an Event

If alcohol is being served, or sold by licenced businesses or persons, a copy of the liquor licence(s) for all businesses involved must be provided with your application.

If alcohol is being consumed (BYO) by attendees at an event on Council land, a permit may be required.

Closing Public Roads

If you are planning to hold an event that requires closure of a public road, discuss your proposal with our Engineering Services Team before applying. You must prepare a Traffic Management Plan and submit a Road Closure Permit Application.

Serving Food on Council Land

All vendors that will serve food at your event must obtain permits from our Health Department or they may be liable to receive infringements or be closed down upon inspection. Find out more about food businesses. A festival or carnival permit is not a Streatrader registration.

Booking a Council Reserve or Park

If you are holding your event on a Council reserve or park you must send a park booking application form to our Recreation and Open Space Department for approval. A bond may be required for any event held on Council owned land. Book a sporting reserve.

Anticipating Parking Demands in the Area

You need to consider the availability of parking in the area. Your application must include a parking plan showing designated parking areas for event participants.

If you are proposing to use traffic controllers to halt traffic on public roads to assist traffic flow in and out of the event, you need to prepare a Traffic Management Plan for Council approval.

Notifying Businesses and Residents

Where adjoining businesses and residents may be affected by this event, Council recommends that you contact businesses and residents to discuss well in advance of the event date.

Apply for a Permit

To apply for a permit:

More Information

This page was last updated on 1 September 2022.