Letting off fireworks
If you are planning to let off fireworks or Chinese firecrackers you need to notify WorkSafe and apply for a Council permit.
Applications must be completed by a licensed pyrotechnician.
Notifying WorkSafe of intent to let off fireworks
A fireworks discharge notification form must be filled out and submitted to WorkSafe at least 7 days before discharging fireworks or Chinese firecrackers.
To apply, visit WorkSafe: Fireworks discharge notification.
How to apply for a Council fireworks permit
Complete the fireworks permit application form (available below).
Attach the following documents to your application:
- a copy of the WorkSafe notification of intent to discharge
- evidence of Public Liability Insurance for $20m
- a site plan of the location where the fireworks will be lit
- a communication plan. This will form part of the permit conditions and will include the need to notify all impacted residents, businesses, organisations and emergency services. This may be through a combination of letterbox drops and public notices (e.g. in local newspapers)
- a copy of your pyrotechnics licence
This page was last updated on 6 September 2022.