Skip to main content

Closing council roads for events

To close a Council road for your event you will need a permit. You must submit your application to Council at least 30 days before the intended date of closing a road.

Apply for a permit

To apply for a partial or full road closure:

  • complete the Road Closure Permit Application (download below)
  • complete the Traffic Management Approval Form (download below)
  • provide a Traffic Management Plan
  • supply proof of public liability insurance for $20 million to cover an incident caused by the road closure
  • return your documents to any of our Customer and Library Service Centres and pay the relevant fees in person; or
  • return your documents to Mitchell Shire Council and an Officer will email you an invoice to make payment.

Traffic Management Plans

Traffic Management Plans must be prepared by a VicRoads accredited contractor.

If your permit to close a Council road is approved, you must be prepared to provide traffic management signage that meets Australian Standard 1742.3.

Closing a VicRoads Roads

To close or partially close a major road or freeway that is managed by VicRoads you must obtain a permit from VicRoads.

More Information

This page was last updated on 1 September 2022.