Historic buildings and places
The towns of Mitchell Shire are rich in history. Their histories include stories of the gold rush, bushrangers, and explorers. Today you can see historic gaols and public buildings, bridges and take the self-guided heritage drive through the region.
During the Gold Rush years, Kilmore was a major stop over for those coming from the ports and town of Melbourne to the gold fields. In its busiest times it was home to over 26 public drinking and boarding houses, numerous churches, schools and a large hospital. Other towns in the Shire were also places to stop and offered many boarding and drinking houses and other services such as black smiths, butchers and banks.
Today you will see rustic timber cottages, old country pubs, century-old bluestone buildings and infrastructure, as well as historic farms, homesteads, machinery and shedding that dot the country side.
Seymour Heritage Drive
Various locations throughout Seymour
Take this self-guided tour of Seymour and surrounding areas to see 41 historical buildings, sites and parks, dating back to 1839.
The drive commences at the Goulburn River Bridge built in 1892 and takes in the railway and military history of the region before arriving at the stunning scenic heritage-listed, Trawool Valley.
Ask for a map and overview of the points of interest at the Seymour Information Centre at the Old Court House, Seymour.
Local Historical Landmarks
- Australian Light Horse Memorial ParkAttraction & MilitaryGoulburn Valley Highway, SeymourThis 150-hectare park was once part of Victoria’s largest Army base, the Seymour Camp, or site 17. Once a busy camp, today the park is a quiet and peaceful place. See relics and building foundations. Take in panoramic views of the surrounding ranges and countryside.
- Broadford Courier NewspaperAttraction & Historical Landmark110 High Street, BroadfordThe Broadford Courier building is now home to a museum of local history, run by the Broadford and District Historical Society.
- Former Family Residence of Ned KellyAttraction & Historical LandmarkKelly Street, BeveridgeBeveridge is home to the Ned Kelly House, the birthplace of the infamous bushranger and where he spent his early childhood years.
- Hume and Hovell MonumentAttraction & Historical LandmarkMonument Hill Reserve, Monument Road, KilmoreLocated in Kilmore, this watchtower was erected to honour the explorers whose expedition played a significant role in establishing the colony of Victoria.
- Kilmore CourthouseAttraction & Historical LandmarkPowlett Street, KilmoreDesigned by J J Clark, the Kilmore Courthouse was constructed in 1863. The building is an example of Victorian Romanesque style architecture.
- Kilmore Town HallAttraction & Historical Landmark16 Sydney Street, KilmoreThe former town hall was built in 1894 and features a decorative facade with enormous Corinthian pillars.
- Old Goulburn River BridgeAttraction & Historical LandmarkOld Hume Highway, SeymourThis Victorian heritage-listed composite trestle and metal road bridge was constructed in 1862.
- Old Kilmore Gaol 1859-1891Attraction, Historical Landmark & Accommodation8 Sutherland Street, KilmoreThe Old Kilmore Gaol was a maximum-security prison in use from 1859 until 1891 when it was decommissioned and used as a butter factory.
- Old Trestle BridgeAttraction & Historical LandmarkOver Hanford’s Creek, PyalongThe Rail Bridge over Hanford's Creek is a rare opportunity to view a largely intact timber trestle bridge.
- Pioneer ParkAttraction & Historical LandmarkCrawford Street, SeymourHome to a memorial of Seymour pioneers, in a serene formal garden setting.
- Vietnam Veterans Commemorative WalkAttraction & MilitaryHigh Street, SeymourFollow the path through this landscaped park that acknowledges the service of each Australian man and woman who served in the Vietnam War. Find out who they were, and move through a natural environment inspired by the landscape in Vietnam that is dotted with the machinery of war.
- WWI Memorial ParkAttraction & MilitarySeymour District Memorial Hospital precinct, Corner of Callen and Brettoneux Streets, SeymourThis beautifully landscaped park is located at the entrance to the Seymour District Memorial Hospital precinct on the corner of Callen and Brettoneux Streets. It pays tribute to the local men and women who served in War World I with a memorial, roses and flags.